This easy Instant Pot braised coconut chicken with cauliflower and sweet potatoes is a delicious, healthy dinner recipe that can be ready in 30 minutes.
Table of Contents
- Chicken. I used skinless boneless chicken thighs but chicken breasts can be used too.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Fresh ginger.
- Spices. I used turmeric, Garam Masala, smoked paprika, ground coriander and ground cumin.
- Coconut milk.
- Chicken broth/chicken stock.
- Sweet potatoes.
- Salt and black pepper.
How to make coconut chicken
Season the chicken with all of the spices, a good pinch of salt and a crack of black pepper and drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well to coat the chicken. Set the Instant Pot to the sauté setting. Once hot, add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes then add the onion, garlic and ginger. Pour in a cup of chicken broth and a can of coconut milk then season with salt and pepper. Close the lid and set the vent to sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes and once finished, quick release the pressure.
While the chicken is cooking, peel and chop the sweet potatoes into large chunks and slice the cauliflower florets off the head. Any large florets can be halved. Add the vegetables to the Instant Pot and replace the lid then cook on high pressure for another 3 minutes. Quick release the pressure. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. If the sauce is too thin, mix a few teaspoons of cornstarch with a few tablespoons of water and stir into the sauce. Allow to cook for 5 minutes on the sauté function until thickened.
Serve the chicken, vegetables and sauce over rice.
Can I make this ahead?
Like all stews and curries, this braised chicken recipe can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept in an airtight container in the fridge or frozen for up to 3 months. Reheat the chicken in the microwave or on the stove until hot and bubbling.
Braised chicken recipes
Instant Pot Braised Coconut Chicken
- 750 g (1½lb) boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 cup chicken broth / chicken stock
- 400 g (14oz) coconut milk
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- rice to serve
- Place the chicken in a large bowl then add the olive oil and spices.
- Mix to coat the chicken in the spices.
- Preheat the Instant Pot on the sauté function and once hot, add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes .
- Add the onion, garlic and chilli then pour in the chicken broth and coconut milk.
- Close with the lid and make sure the vent is in "sealing" position.
- Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes then quick release the pressure.
- While the chicken is cooking, peel and chop the sweet potatoes into large chunks and slice the cauliflower florets off the head. Any large florets can be sliced in half.
- Add the vegetables to the chicken then close the lid and cook for another 3 minutes on high pressure.
- Quick release the pressure.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- If the sauce is too thin, mix 2 teaspoons of cornstarch with a few tablespoons of water and pour into the chicken.
- Set the Instant Pot to the sauté setting and allow to simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve over rice.