I really love simple dinners where the ingredients are fresh as can be and it takes you a maximum of 20 minutes to knock everything together. Last night I made a simple pan-fried fish (hake) for dinner and instead of the usual garlic butter or simple lemon to serve it with, I decided to make a light lemon-cream sauce flavoured with pepper and garlic.
The sauce complimented the fish beautifully and added just enough flavour without overpowering the delicate hake. I added a few capers to add a sharp, delicious zing and served the fish with steamed asparagus and fresh bread. This meal ticks all the boxes for a weeknight meal for me. Quick, delicious and satisfying!
for the lemon-cream sauce
- 1 cup cream
- juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- salt & pepper to taste
for the fish
- 4 fish fillets I used fresh hake
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons seasoning spice of your choice I used a fish spice
- steamed asparagus
- fresh bread
- To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and allow to simmer for 10 minutes until reduced slightly.
- For the fish, combine the flour, salt & seasoning spice and coat the fish fillets thoroughly.
- Fry the fish in a hot pan (in a little vegetable oil, skin-side down first) until golden brown then carefully flip over and fry for another 4-5 minutes until the fish is cooked through and golden brown.
- Serve the cooked fish with the sauce, capers, asparagus & fresh bread.