Spaghetti Aglio e Olio is the most delicious, easy dinner recipe you will ever make. Pasta with garlic, Parmesan, chilli flakes and parsley? Delizioso!
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Fresh garlic.
- Olive oil.
- Chilli flakes/ red pepper flakes.
- Parmesan cheese.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make spaghetti aglio e olio
- Cook the pasta: Start by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until the spaghetti is al dente.
- Make the sauce: While the pasta is cooking, add olive oil to a medium-hot pan/skillet and add thinly sliced garlic and chilli / red pepper flakes. Allow the garlic to cook, until it just starts to turn golden then add a splash of the pasta cooking water and turn off the heat.
- Combine the spaghetti and sauce: Once the pasta is cooked, add the spaghetti to the pan with the garlic and toss to coat the pasta in the oil. Add some of the pasta cooking water and toss to allow the sauce to emulsify. Add chopped parsley and finely grated Parmesan and toss to combine. Serve the pasta with extra Parmesan.
What does aglio e olio mean?
Aglio e olio literally means garlic and oil. Spaghetti Aglio e olio originates in Naples, Italy and stars two simple ingredients that most homes always have. With such simple dishes, it’s important to use the very best ingredients you can afford so using a good quality olive oil will make all the difference.
What to serve with aglio e olio
Although this is the perfect simple meal on its own, if you want to serve it with a few sides try these:
Can I make this ahead?
Because this is a simple, quick recipe I would suggest making it just before serving. Leftovers can be refrigerated for a few days. Reheat in a warm pan with a splash of water until hot.
Easy pasta recipes:
- Spicy tomato bacon pasta
- Creamy spinach artichoke pasta
- Easy creamy parmesan lemon pasta
- Creamy lemon garlic shrimp pasta
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- 500 g / 1lb spaghetti
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1-2 tsp chilli / red pepper flakes
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- ½ cup parsley finely chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente.
- Heat a large frying pan/skillet over medium-high heat then add the oil and garlic.
- Add the chilli flakes and toast until the garlic starts to turn golden. Add a few tablespoons of the pasta's cooking water and remove from the heat.
- Once the pasta is cooked, carefully transfer the cooked spaghetti to the pan with the garlic with a pair of tongs. Add a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking water and toss to emulsify.
- Add the Parmesan and parsley and continue tossing until the pasta is well coated. At this point, you can add more water if you think the pasta needs a little extra sauciness. Taste and season to taste if necessary then serve with extra Parmesan.
So simple and delicious.
Thanks Diana! 🙂
Perfect weeknight recipe. I doubled up on the red pepper flakes and it was so tasty!
Delicious! So happy you liked it.
Great recipe. So easy!
Absolutely amazing; simple is always the best! Grazie milla !