Easy cheese and tomato pasta bake
Easy cheese and tomato pasta bake for nights where you want something delicious and comforting to eat but can't be bothered to spend ages in the kitchen.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
for the tomato sauce
- 2 x 400g (14 oz) cans cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika optional
- pinch of chilli flakes optional
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar to taste (optional)
- ½ cup vegetable stock/red wine
- salt & pepper to taste
for the pasta bake
- 500 g (1lb) short pasta of your choice (I used penne)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- fresh basil to serve
Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF.
Fry the onion and garlic in a splash of olive oil until soft and translucent.
Add the tomatoes, herbs, spices, Balsamic, sugar and stock/wine and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes while the pasta cooks. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta's cooking water.
When the pasta is cooked and the sauce is reduced, combine and mix well. Add some of the cooking water saved from the pasta to loosen the pasta and sauce a bit.
Transfer half the pasta mix to a baking dish, add half of the cheese. Repeat with the remaining pasta and cheese.
Place the pasta in the pre-heated oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese on top is golden brown.
Remove and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving with fresh basil.
Calories: 401kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 337mg | Potassium: 358mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 880IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 311mg | Iron: 9mg