Pumpkin Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
Moist, delicious pumpkin carrot cake with the creamiest cream cheese frosting. The perfect recipe for a tea-time treat and a definite crowd pleaser.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 1 cup or 2 sticks softened butter
- 1 cup packed soft brown sugar (I used Muscavado sugar)
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 2 ¾ cups cake flour all purpose
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- reserved juice from crushed pineapple
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 x 400g approx 14 oz can/tin crushed pineapple with juice, drained but juice reserved
- 1 ½ cups grated carrots
for the cream cheese frosting
- 1/2 cup /1 stick butter, softened
- 1/4 cup cream cheese softened
- 2 cups icing sugar sifted
- juice of 1/2 lemon
Pre-heat the oven to 180°c and grease and line 3x 20cm cake pans with baking paper.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one a time, beating well after each addition.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
Add the flour and the pineapple juice, alternatively, to the creamed butter, sugar and eggs and mix until everything has been incorporated.
Fold in the pumpkin purée, crushed pineapple and carrots.
Divide the batter between the three prepared pans and place in the oven.
Bake for 20-30 minute until the cakes are golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
To make the frosting, beat together the butter and cream cheese then add the icing sugar and mix until thick and creamy.
Add the lemon juice and mix through then stack the cakes, dividing the frosting between the layers then serve.
*This cake will last for approximately one week if kept in an airtight container.