Creamy Dijon Chicken

Creamy Dijon Chicken

As a blogger, I feel that I have a duty to make sure the recipes I post on this site are not just of good quality but also appealing and interesting. Now, there are some recipes that are so gosh-darn DELICIOUS but that are also soooo easy, that I almost feel ashamed to post them. This is one of those recipes. But I’m not going to make excuses for this chicken, because even though it is so easy your 5-year old could do it, it is one of the most tasty chicken dishes I’ve had in a long time.

I make a couple variations of this and all of them work just perfectly. Here, I left the chicken breasts whole and just pan-fried them for a bit longer to ensure they’re cooked through (this is the very lazy approach). I also sometimes cube the chicken (making it perfect to serve with rice) and I sometimes flatten the chicken to make a ‘escalopes’ of sorts which takes the cooking time right down to 2 minutes per side. Whichever way you choose is completely up to you and how much time you have on your hands.

Also, what you serve with your chicken is completely left up to what you feel like and how lazy you are on that particular day. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING works with this. My favourite is Jasmine Rice or a good crusty slice of bread, but you could so easily serve this with baked potato, potato wedges, mash, polenta, pasta, couscous or just on it’s own. I always serve a side salad with this but only because I really like a zesty, fresh salad when I eat something rich and creamy, the salad cuts through all the cream nicely (and makes me feel less guilty of course). This really is the perfect thing to serve over a weekend when you feel like cooking something delicious but couldn’t be bothered to stand in the kitchen for more than 30 minutes. Served with a few bottles of wine and good company, you have a match made in heaven.

Creamy Dijon Chicken

Serves 4

4 large skinless & de-boned chicken breasts (Left whole, cubed or flattened)
2 large leeks, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
250ml cream
2tsp Dijon mustard
1tsp wholegrain mustard
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt & pepper to taste
starch of your choice to serve
fresh Parsley to serve
olive oil for frying

• Heat 2tbsn oil in a large frying pan and fry the chicken until cooked through and browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
  • Fry the leeks and garlic until fragrant and softened (about 5 minutes).
  • Add the cream, mustards and lemon juice and allow to simmer and reduce for 3 minutes.
  • Place the chicken back into the sauce.
  • Season to taste and serve with the starch of your choice and a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
  • polkadotcupcake

mmmm You had me at Dijon and cream! I make a similar variation of this, without leeks (cleaning them.. urgh), using onion and peppers.. and it’s also divine! yay for 1 dish, 30 minute meals!

• Carol

I just love ALL your recipes. They are great and easy to make. Just want to know what I click on to just print the recipe?? Can’t find it anywhere??

• Katherine

This looks just lovely! I love mustard chicken and the addition of leeks sounds divine.

I.Have.To.Try.This.ASAP! Wow, divine!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

• Lisa

I agree with Carol…great recipes but how do I print them. I can even copy and paste into notepad. Is the only way to hand copy them?

• Ally_R

You can still print the recipe. Just underneath the title of the recipe you’ll see there are 9 icons. The last icon is a “Print with Printfriendly” Icon. Just click on that.

• Rene

I make this except I use Sherry instead of the lemon. I sometimes make it with pork chops or boneless scallopini. Either way, it’s a company-worthy recipe.

• Sam Woulidge

Ooh! I printed out this recipe for My Man, before rushing out for a work-thing. Came back an hour ago and there it was: creamily-mustardy-delicious. Bloody brilliant easy recipe this. x

• Ally_R

I’m so glad you liked it Sam! Simple and delicious is what I’m best at! ;)

• AvO

Absolutely yummy! And lucky enough to have a teensy bit leftover for lunch today. Love the fact your recipes are ‘homemade’-able. Am a Saffer living in Switzerland and found your blog whilst browing for SA food recipes…now linked as a favourite for regular access. Thank you

• Jean Johnson

I have a version of this recipe from Emeril. I made it last night for my daughter and son in law and they raved over it – it is definitely the creamy dijon that make it – my recipe calls for white wine and tarragon.

• Amanda Daras

Cooked this tonight, turned out really well, but it was missing something. I wonder if maybe I did something wrong. I don’t mean to sound stupid but I don’t cook often. The recipe calls for cream, is heavy whipping cream the same? Also, is whole grain mustard the same as ground mustard? Thank you for sharing, I have been looking for a good dijon recipe for a while!!

• Foodiewinelover

I made it tonight Amanda, It is important to season the chicken with salt and pepper prior to pan frying it. If your’e not on a sodium-restricted diet, you must use salt, otherwise, the chicken itself will be blend. I used heavy cream to obtain a nice texture and stoneground mustard. All in all, this is a fantastic recipe. My family loved it!

• Kelly

This recipe looks amazing. Would I be able to substitute the cream with plain yoghurt?

• Ally_R

Kelly, you could, but I wouldn’t allow it to simmer as the yoghurt might split.

• Jayne Schrimsher

I substituted yogurt and it did curdle. Taste was great, but next time I will add the yogurt after it is off the heat. I left out the lemon juice.

Jayne, Yoghurt will curdle because it’s not as stable as cream but I hope that you still enjoyed it. :)

• Tabs

Wow this looks amazing, gotta try it out. If you wanted to make a low-fat version would you substitute the cream with low fat or would a white sauce made from low fat milk and maizena do the trick? Can’t wait to try this out!

• Ally_R

Tabs, I would use a mix of low-fat cream and yoghurt but don’t boil the sauce as it will split.

• Maude

My gosh, loved this dish. My husband asked for me to cook it again. Sooooo easy, I cut the chicken up into cubes and cooked it that way and served with rice.
    Cheer Maude NZ

• Charmaine

So glad I stumbled on this recipe on Pinterest. It made me giggle to see that you’re in South Africa as Im a South African living in Australia. I made this and it was a hit with the family, including my little girl. Im also really enjoying your website.

Hi Charmaine! :) Always nice to see South-Africans abroad reading my blog. Glad you liked this recipe!

• Diane

I just wanted you to know that I included your recipe in a leek round up. I will be pinning and tweeting it this week too.

• Tasterfull

I make something similar with fresh or dried Tarragon in the sauce.
    Mustard tarragon and cream love each other, and Marry very well.

I can imagine the Tarragon would be just divine with this.

• eileen windras

what do you mean by having the ‘starch’ of your choice? I’m British and not familiar with this?

Starch meaning rice, potatoes, crusty bread, etc.

• eileen windras

thank you so much! xx

• Ghaelach

Hi Alida.
    Looks great and I bet it will taste the same.

Making this wonderful meal won’t be a problem, but as I have just noticed the question about “starch” has already been asked and answered.
    I’m a newcomer to your site and already I’m finding it very good and interesting with a lot of my favorite meals cooked/fried differently.
    Ghaelach

• Emily

I was actually not a fan of this recipe when I tried it, it seemed to be missing out on a fuller flavor. It was a good idea, but I don’t think I would try it again unless I made some changes to the recipe.

Sorry you felt that way Emily. By “Fuller flavour” do you mean richer? Or just more depth?

• Kelly

At which point is the lemon juice added? It says to add it at two separate points! Thanks

Kelly, sorry about that. I’ve amended the recipe. The second addition was a mistake on my part.