Succulent chicken thighs cooked in a rich, aromatic coconut curry sauce with vibrant broccoli. Is this the perfect weeknight meal, or what?
Table of Contents
Full recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken thighs.
- Coconut oil. You can use any oil you have.
- Spices: Garam masala, coriander, cumin, paprika, turmeric, chilli powder.
- Coconut milk.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make coconut curry chicken thighs
This recipe come together in under 30 minutes so it is perfect for weeknight dinners.
- Brown the chicken: Start by searing the chicken thighs in a large, deep frying pan or skillet. Melt coconut oil (or use any oil of your preference) and add the chicken thighs. I like adding the thighs in the pan while it is still cold. This way the chicken fat renders out before it browns too much leaving the skin incredibly crisp. Once the thighs are golden brown and crisp, flip over and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Make the curry sauce: Add onions to the pan. Cook the onions until they are soft and translucent then add the garlic, ginger and spices. Cook the aromatics for 30 seconds until the spices start to stick to the pan. Pour in the coconut milk, honey (if using) and lemon juice and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken thighs back into the coconut curry sauce (skin-side up) and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add vegetables: I love adding broccoli to this but sugar snap peas, green beans and spinach will also be delicious. If you’re using broccoli, steam the broccoli until almost tender then add to the sauce to finish cooking. Season the dish to taste and serve with rice.
Easy Curry recipes
- Shrimp curry with naan
- Cauliflower korma curry
- Easy weeknight chicken curry
- Easy cauliflower tikka masala curry
Chicken thigh recipes
- Chicken thighs in creamy garlic Parmesan sauce
- Rosemary lemon chicken thighs
- Crispy chicken thighs on cheesy broccoli rice
Coconut curry chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6-8 chicken thighs skin-on, bone-in
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder I used Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder/cayenne pepper optional
- 400 g (14o) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cream optional
- 1 teaspoon honey optional
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- Melt the coconut oil in a large frying pan then fry the chicken until golden and crisp, remove and set aside.
- Fry the onion in the same pan (add a little more coconut oil if needed) until soft and translucent then add the ginger, garlic and spices and fry for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Pour in the coconut milk, cream and honey and allow to come to a simmer. Add the chicken thighs to the sauce then turn down the heat and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- In the meantime, steam the broccoli until almost cooked through and transfer to the chicken and coconut curry sauce to finish cooking.
- Season the chicken with lemon juice, salt and pepper and serve.