Nigel Slater’s Coq au Riesling

Home / Recipes / Chicken / Nigel Slater’s Coq au Riesling

Nigel Slater’s Coq au Riesling

Coq au Riesling

For my birthday a week or so ago, I was spoiled with something I have wanted for a very, VERY long time. A perfect, white Le Creuset 30cm Buffet Casserole. Well that was my idea anyway. I went to my local Le Creuset store very much intent on buying one of the pristine beauties but was told that the white range only gets made twice a year in France and as it’s also a very popular range, it gets sold out relatively quickly. I took to Twitter to see if anyone could help me and within minutes the amazing folk at Le Creuset South Africa tweeted me back saying they are going to search high and low and within 24 hours they had located the very last white buffet casserole in the country and had it sent to my local store. I mean, is there anyone that does customer service better?

Anyway, so buffet casserole purchased, I needed something to christen it with. A good friend suggested that I make Nigel Slater’s Coq au Riesling from his book Real Food and I knew it had to be. I tweeted about it (well of course) and what do you know, Mr Slater himself shared my sentiment that this dish was made for my dish.

Coq au Riesling

Coq au Riesling

You should make this if you like chicken. If you like mushrooms. If you like creamy sauces. If you like Food. And most importantly if you like a bit of plate licking. This recipe is so gosh-darn delicious that I did, in fact, lick my plate. While it’s cooking, the scent of onion, garlic, mushrooms and wine will waft through your house, teasing your senses and when you take your first bite, you will swoon. The chicken was soft and succulent and the sauce deeply savoury. Serve it with steamed rice or on top of al dente pasta or as I did, with a loaf of crusty bread to mop up the sauce. A zesty green salad won’t be out of place either.

Coq au RieslingFor this recipe in Afrikaans (along with the most beautiful writing by my talented friend), click here.

5.0 from 2 reviews
Nigel Slater's Coq au Riesling

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

I followed Nigel's recipe but amended the quantities slightly as I needed to feed my family.
Recipe type: Dinner, Entree, Chicken, Main,
Serves: 4-6
Ingredients
  • 50g butter
  • splash of olive oil
  • 2 onions, finely chopped
  • 125g bacon/pancetta, sliced into thin strips
  • 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 8 chicken pieces on the bone (I used 4 thighs and 4 drumsticks)
  • 250g portabellini mushrooms, sliced
  • 500ml Riesling (or dry white wine of your choice)
  • 250ml cream
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • handful chopped parsley
Instructions
  1. Melt the butter and oil together in a large pan.
  2. Brown the chicken pieces all over and remove from the pan.
  3. Add the onions and bacon and allow to fry until the onions are soft and translucent and the bacon has rendered it's fat.
  4. Add the garlic and allow to saute for another 30 seconds before removing the mixture from the pan (leaving the fat behind).
  5. Add the mushrooms and allow to fry for 5 minutes.
  6. Add the onion and bacon mixture along with the browned chicken back to the pan.
  7. Pour in the wine and allow to come up to a boil. Turn down the heat and cover. Allow to simmer for 15-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
  8. After 15 minutes, uncover, turn up the heat and add the cream. Allow to cook for another 10 minutes.
  9. Add the chopped parsley and season to taste.
  10. Serve with rice, pasta or crusty bread.

• Michele

This recipe is an absolute hit! My husband and I LOVED it and will definitely be making it again very soon. The flavors and textures were heavenly – even with half-fat cream. I’m SO glad to have found your beautiful blog! Thank you!

So glad you liked it Michelle. Thanks for the lovely comment.

• Carol

I would like to make this but I noticed that the recipe calls for 4 cloves of garlic. Both my daughter and I love garlic but my husband HATES the smell and taste of it. So, I need to know how strong the garlic smell/flavor is in this dish. I made a dish the other day with 2 cloves of minced garlic and he was OK with that as it did not taste/smell garlicky but I am concerned that 4 cloves will have a much stronger taste/smell. Please advise.

Carol, I think start with 2 cloves and see how he feels with that. Instead of using 4 and then he doesn’t like it. Maybe the next time you make it you can add a little more? And be sure to really cook it out so that it becomes mellow and sweet instead of being pungent.

• Mags

The garlic is spot on — you won’t notice it after all the cooking. If
      you are afraid HE will, mince it finely. The smaller the cut, the
      milder the taste. I actually just coarsely chopped mine, we love it,
      but for the ONE GRANDCHILD who is a PITA, I would mince it

• Emilygal

Im probably being stupid but Step 8 starts by saying ‘after 15 mins’ : does this mean after 15 mins of the 15-25 mins already mentioned in Step 7 or does it mean that after the dish has cooked for 15-25 mins (as mentioned in step 7) you then wait and leave it sit for 15 mins before adding the cream/bringing up heat again etc? Bit confused. Thanks :)

The dish needs to cook for approximately 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked but after 15 minutes you can uncover it and add the cream so that the sauce can reduce slightly. Hope that clears it up! 😉

• Mags

The garlic is spot on — you won’t notice it after all the cooking. If you are afraid HE will, mince it finely. The smaller the cut, the milder the taste. I actually just coarsely chopped mine, we love it, but for the ONE GRANDCHILD who is a PITA, I would mince it.

• Bernie Wong

Just made this for dinner tonight, absolutely delicious! I used sauvignon blanc with dried porcinni and fresh shiitakes because I had those on hand. Amazing dish, will be making it for company soon.

That sounds amazing Bernie. So glad you enjoyed it.

• Kelly

I made this tonight and loved the flavors. I am wondering if anyone felt it was too runny? Mine was and I was looking for how to thicken up the sauce a bit.

• Mags

If you leave the lid off and simmer it after adding the cream, then by the time the bread bakes and you have tossed the salad, the sauce should have thickened up nicely on its own.

Kelly, if you’d like you can mix a little cornflour with a little water and mix that in and allow to cook through or you can just allow the sauce to simmer uncovered until it reaches the thickness you are after.

• Kat Seltzer

This recipe is so delicious. I love using white wine and cream. Thank you for the interesting and oh so delicious take on the classic. I modified the recipe just a bit as I had to translate the measurements :-) but it was still so good. My family loved it and we had it twice in the same week. Thank you!

• Rosie

Hi Alida, lovely recipe– I only have question about step 4(leaving the fat behind) Do you mean that I pour it out of the pan? Thanks :)

• Rita

I soooo loved this recipe!! I made this tonight and it was delicious! Does anyone have the nutrition content on this to show the amount of calories/cholesteral/protien/etc that is in this per serving? I would love to know so that I could make this once a week!

• Mags

Rita, look at the ingredients, you don’t WANT to know. Some things are special occasion… this is one of them. Don’t look so you won’t regret. My husband has cancer, we eat whatever we want when we want. I understand others have dietary concerns. All things in moderation.

So glad you liked it Rita. Unfortunately I don’t have the nutritional content of this recipe but I do know it will be quite hight in fat and calories due to the cream. If you wanted to make this every week and are worried about the calories/fat content, perhaps try to use reduced fat cream? The only worry with that is that some reduced fat creams can split if they are boiled so you will have to only add the cream right at the very end and cook the chicken in a little chicken stock.

No, you leave the fat in the pan to saute the mushrooms in. If there’s a lot of fat from the bacon in the pan, you can pour some of it off but you’ll need a little fat to fry the mushrooms in.

• Mags

This absolutely, hands down, THE BEST chicken in wine sauce recipe I have ever made. But be forewarned if you are going to make it, make it with a Reisling that you will DRINK (i.e., a GOOD ONE, not a cheap one in a box) and buy two bottles so you can have that extra bottle for dinner. If you buy cheap crappy wine you get nothing but what you put into the dish. (And PLEASE PLEASE don’t substitute chicken broth, if you are a tee-totaler, just forego the dish….) That said, I have tried making Coq Au Vin using many many many recipes and despite the best intentions I could really never warm up to purple chicken. Sorry, just me. But now THIS recipe…. I cannot say enough good about it…. Served to my son and DIL and mad NO substitutions except used boneless skinless thighs out of deference to my DIL who does not eat bone in chicken. It was WONDERFUL, we ate it with a green salad made from my porch-side garden, and freshly baked ciabatta bread. No one had room for dessert, so I suggest you choose something simple and refreshing like cookies and sorbet or fruit. There were four adults that ate this and I made it with nine chicken thighs… and had enough leftovers for my son for lunch the next day (yes, he snatched them up on his way out the door, along with the strawberry orange cobbler we had for dessert).

When I make it again (and there will be an again, and again and again and again) I may experiment with different wines and different mushrooms or shallots instead of onions, but made exactly as written this is just FABULOUS. You. Must. Make. It. (unless as mentioned you don’t cook with wine, please do not diss this recipe with anything else, if the name of the wine is part of the recipe, there is a REASON!)

Oh Mags, thank you so much for your WONDERFUL comment. I really am so happy that you and your family loved this recipe. You can trust Nigel Slater’s recipes again and again. They always work and they are always drop-dead-delicious!

• LF

This looks delicious, thank you for sharing. I’m thinking of doing this in a slow cooker for a few hours. Would you add any stock with the wine for slow cooking and then add the cream at the end?

I would definitely add a little stock if you’re going to try it in a slow cooker and then just add the cream towards the end.

• Lee

That is absolutely an amazing recipe. I can’t wait to make this.
    However, since dry white wine is not available in my region, may I use red wine instead?

Lee, sure you can use red wine but it will then be a Coq au Vin and not a Coq au Riesling anymore. Also, with red wine you’ll have to omit or reduce the amount of cream the recipe asks for.

• Treasure

My pans are crap. Lol. Should I just avoid this dish until I get the fancy pan?

Absolutely not. 😉 This is delicious whether made in a crappy pan or a fancy-pants pan.

• Shaun Edmonds

Great to see this dish again, I bought the book when it first came out and made this wonderful recipe for years…then much like Nigel I forgot about it till I came across this page, safe to say this is on the menu again this week once I’ve done my shopping.

• Michael Allen

Wow… this was fantastic. Rich and creamy, but not too much so. The freshly chopped herbs really elevated the dish to another level. I served it with sugar snap peas sautéed in olive oil, garlic, fresh black peppercorn, and sea salt, with a butter leftover multigrain boule for grains. This one is certainly a keeper in my book! :)

• Lara

Such a delicious recipe! It’s my go-to when I’m entertaining, and comes out brilliantly every time. Just curious – do you leave the skin on the drumsticks or thighs? I’ve previously removed the skin, but this time I’m debating leaving them on… just don’t want to risk that horrible, chewy skin you sometimes get after letting it simmer.

Lara, I do leave it on because often the chicken isn’t submerged completely. It definitely adds a lovely bit of extra flavour. 😉

• Lara

After seeing the photos and re-visiting this page today I couldn’t resist…. I’m now making this for dinner tonight! On the menu for tomorrow? Your garlic roasted chicken and cauliflower puree. Thanks for all the fantastic recipes xx

Thanks for your lovely comment! I get such intense pleasure when people try my recipes. I hope you enjoy both!

• NotKennedy

I’ve done variations on this recipe many times, always with goof results, though I have not tried it with Riesling, so, thanks to your lovely review, I’ll revisit the dish with a different inflection! Thanks for the review and the photos!

• Judy

Is your pan the 3.5 quart or the 5 quart? Also is there a problem adding the cream to the hot liquid already in the pan? Will it curdle?

Judy, Mine is the 30cm/3.2 litre buffet casserole. I’m not sure how many quarts that is.

The cream shouldn’t curdle, unless you’re using reduced fat cream.

I have found the next recipe I’m making for my blog!! We eat so much chicken and fish I’m always on the lookout for different recipes. This looks wonderful — I wish I could get another Le Crueset . And Oh Hallelujah I just found a great German Riesling in our stage. You can’t see me but I’m doing a happy dance. Thank you so much for introducing us to this recipe. Buona Giornata!!

• Natalie

I made this last night for my husband. We were amazed at the dimension of the flavors from such simple ingredients. I make a lot of Indian food with A LOT of spices so this one a complete 180 for me. I gave the chicken a very good browning and I think that played a very important role – don’t skimp on that part! I will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe!

Thanks for your lovely comment Natalie! Yes, that browning is incredibly important as that adds a lot of deep, caramelised flavours.

• TheresaMP

Made this today and it turned out great. I didn’t have riesling so I used white cooking wine and chicken broth. Also used half and half for the cream – bowing to diabetes. Will definitely make again. thanks so much for sharing.

• Andrea

This dish was superb! I made it and realized I didn’t have any wine half way through, so my hubby stopped by the store on his way home and picked up a Moscato. I was reluctant to use such as sweet wine in cooking, but that’s all I had. I continued on with the recipe, using a little flour mixed with the sauce in a separate bowl, then whisked into the rest of the sauce to thicken it a bit. My family LOVED it!! I did try the recipe a week later using riesling just to see, but I was little more partial to the sweet notes the moscato lent. Amazing recipe either way though!!! Thank you so much for sharing.

So glad you liked it Andrea. It’s always interesting to play around with different wines when they are such a star ingredient in a recipe. I’ve made this with almost all of the styles and it results in a different dish every time. Thanks for your lovely comment!