Easy garlic cheese pasta
This ridiculously easy garlicky cheese pasta is the perfect quick and delicious weeknight meal and perfect for meatless Mondays.
You guys. We’re in June. JUNE. How even did that happen? I always love June because it’s my birthday month and the month where winter really sets in in South Africa (I’m such a winter baby). I also love June because after June it feels like the year is in freefall and we’ll get to the fun of December so much quicker.
But honestly, I just don’t know how we got here so quickly. This year has flown by (and I know I say this every year). 2017 started and since then it’s been just one whirlwind of work, school stuff and the odd Friends marathon here and there. No complaints here though, this year has been nothing but awesome.
Anyway, this week we have a TON of work to get through before my birthday next week (I’m taking the whole week off next week. Because, well, I can) and I just don’t have any time to figure out dinner after a full day of shooting and filming. This easy garlic cheese pasta has been a true saviour during busy weeks. It takes all of 20 minutes to get it on the table because the sauce is made while the pasta cooks.
Speaking of the sauce I make it a little different every time because it really depends on what cheese I have in the fridge. When I shot it, I used a lot of mature cheddar, a little mozzarella and Parmesan (feel free to swap for a vegetarian variety should you want to keep this 100% vegetarian) but Gruyere, Brie or any good melting cheese will work perfectly in this sauce.
The rest of the sauce consists of a little flour, a splash of cream, some milk and a good amount of seasoning. And let’s not forget about all of that garlic. Feel free to use less but I’ll be honest, I don’t know how to not use a crap-ton (actual measurement) of garlic in my food.
This cheese pasta is the ultimate easy, weeknight comfort food and just as my family loved it, I hope yours does too!
Easy garlic cheese pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3-4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 heaped tablespoon flour
- 1-1½ cups milk
- ½ cup cream alternatively use all milk
- 2 cups grated cheese of your choice I used 1 cup mature cheddar and ½ cup each of mozzarella and Parmesan
- handful fresh parsley chopped
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 500 g pasta of your choice cooked (reserve 1 cup of the cooking water)
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a large, deep frying pan.
- Add the garlic and fry until fragrant then add the flour. Whisk in the milk until a smooth sauce forms then add the cream (if using). Turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off then add the cheese, parsley, lemon and season to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta and a little of the cooking water, stirring to coat the pasta. Add more pasta water if necessary.
- Serve immediately.