Soft and fluffy doughnut muffins filled with blueberry jam is a great recipe to impress your guests for tea time and make great lunchbox fillers.
The first time I saw these doughnut muffins in one of my favourite food magazines, BBC Good Food, my heart literally skipped a beat. I was absolutely in love and I knew I would just have to make them for my family (but mostly for me)!
Their original recipe calls for Raspberry preserves which I didn’t have so I used my current ‘preserve obsession’ which is Bonne Maman’s Blueberry preserves. I love how deep and deliciously dark this jam is while the flavour is pleasantly sweet and very blueberry, just what you want right?
These muffins were incredibly delicious and I didn’t have to offer them twice. Within a few minutes they were all gone and I was asked immediately when I would be baking them again. With the recipe being so simple, I could honestly say within the next few days, in fact, it was the very next day. I would suggest you double this recipe as these have serious crowd-appeal and they never stick around for long. They also last for about 4 days in a sealed container (which is not that great as they make a very tempting breakfast with strong coffee).
Table of Contents
Baked Doughnut muffins with Blueberry Jam
- 150 g caster sugar
- 200 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100 ml plain yoghurt I used fat-free Bulgarian yoghurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g butter melted
- 12 tsp blueberry preserves
for the coating
- 150 g caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 180°c and lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Put the sugar, flour and baking powder in a bowl and mix to combine.
- In a seperate bowl/jug, whisk together the yoghurt, eggs and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients and melted butter into the dry ingredients and fold until mixed well.
- Place 2 tbsp of the mixture into each muffin hole. Add 1 tsp of the jam into the centre of each and then cover with the rest of the batter.
- Place the muffins into the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before removing and rolling in the caster sugar.
- Serve warm.