Crispy Bang Bang Chicken Tacos served with spicy mayo, shredded cabbage and fresh cilantro. A family dinner favorite.
Table of Contents
- Chicken. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts but boneless chicken thighs will also work.
- Breading: Flour (Cornstarch can be used instead), eggs, panko breadcrumbs, salt.
- Sauce: Mayonnaise (I used Kewpie mayo but any mayo of your choice will work), Sriracha, Sweet chili sauce, lemon juice. Lime juice or rice vinegar can be substituted. Honey can be used instead of sweet chili for sweetness.
For the tacos
- Tortillas. I used flour tortillas but corn tortillas will be delicious too.
- Fresh cilantro/coriander.
- Fresh jalapeño. (optional)
- Fresh lime wedges.
How to make bang bang chicken
Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl. Add the flour and a generous pinch of salt then toss to coat the chicken pieces in the flour. Shake off the excess then coat the chicken in beaten egg and finally in panko crumbs seasoned with salt.
Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat then fry the chicken until crisp and golden. Use any vegetable oil or neutral cooking oil of your choice. Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towel. The chicken can be cooked in an air fryer too, if preferred. Cook the chicken in batches to prevent overcrowding the pan.
To make the bang bang sauce, combine the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper, if necessary. Assemble the tacos by heating the tortillas then adding shredded cabbage, the fried chicken and a generous drizzle of the spicy sauce. Add cilantro and sliced jalapeños and a drizzle of lime juice then serve.
Can I make this ahead?
The chicken can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Air fry for 5-8 minutes until hot throughout before serving. You could also coat the chicken then lay on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place in the freezer until frozen solid. Transfer to a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months and cook directly from frozen.
Easy crispy chicken recipe
Bang bang Chicken Tacos
- 500 g (1lb) chicken
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp salt
- oil for frying
For the sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise I used half Hellmann's and half Kewpie mayo
- 2 tbsp Thai sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
For the tacos
- 8 tortillas
- shredded cabbage
- fresh cilantro/coriander
- sliced jalapeno
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Whisk the eggs into a bowl.
- Whisk together the flour and a pinch of salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the panko to a third bowl and season with a pinch of salt.
- Coat the chicken first in the flour, then in beaten egg and finally in the panko.
- Heat enough oil to fry the chicken (approximately 4 cups) in a skillet or Dutch oven/pot set over medium-high heat. The oil is hot enough when a wooden skewer pressed to the bottom of the pot results in lots of tiny bubbles. The oil needs to be hot enough for the chicken to fry quickly as they don't need lots of time to cook.
- To make the sauce, stir together the mayonnaise, sweet chilli sauce, sriracha and rice vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Add the chicken to the hot oil in batches and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Cook the chicken in batches to prevent over-crowding the pan.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towels.
- Assemble the tacos by heating the tortillas then adding shredded cabbage, the fried chicken and a generous drizzle of the spicy sauce.
- Add cilantro and sliced jalapeños and a drizzle of lime juice then serve.