Chicken tacos with zesty, fresh pico de gallo and creamy guacamole makes the perfect easy, healthy dinner recipe and is perfect for Taco Tuesdays.
When can you safely say you make a dish too much? When you make it every week? More than twice a week? I’m not sure but guys, I think I make this too much. We have chicken taco night pretty much every week and I’m not even ashamed. Not only is it absolutely delicious but it’s also one of the only things I cook that I know for sure the twins will gobble down. In general kids like to eat ‘picky’ things that they can eat with their hands and the twins LOVE these tacos. They break the tortillas into small pieces and stack the rest of the components on top. Aidan likes to see how much he can squish into his mouth and then he says “That’s one delicious Taco!”
The best thing about chicken taco night is that it takes me all of 30 minutes to assemble all the components. I do a quick marinade on the chicken which consists of loads of lemon juice, plenty of herbs, smoked paprika and salt and then while that’s frying, I get going with the salsa or pico de gallo as it’s also known. I don’t really think you can have chicken taco night without pico de gallo and I like to season mine with plenty of white wine vinegar (or lemon juice), salt and pepper. I love that it adds fresh, zingyness which is then perfectly complimented by the creamy guacamole and sour cream.
(I Instagrammed this image a while ago when I was prepping for Chicken Taco Night)
Is there a meal that you just know your family will gobble down when you make it? Also, if you guys start doing Chicken Taco Night for dinner (or if you already do), I’d LOVE to see your pictures so Tweet or Instagram me and use the hashtag #chickentaconight. Let’s start a movement people! Happy Taco-ing!
Chicken Tacos with Pico de Gallo
for the chicken
- 4 skinless chicken breasts de-boned
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
for the pico de gayo
- 2 ripe tomatoes cubed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- handful fresh coriander finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar / lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- sour cream
- Slice the chicken breasts into thin strips then place in a bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well. Allow to marinade for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan till hot then fry the chicken strips in batched until golden brown and cooked through.
- While the chicken is frying, combine all the ingredients for the pico de gallo and set aside.
- Serve the chicken and pico de gallo with bowls of guacamole, sour cream and tortillas and extra lime wedges (optional).