Chicken tacos with zesty, fresh pico de gallo and creamy avocado makes the perfect easy, healthy dinner recipe and is perfect for Taco Tuesdays.
The best thing about this chicken taco recipe is that it takes me all of 30 minutes to assemble all the components. Marinating the chicken in loads of lemon juice, plenty of herbs, smoked paprika and salt adds a ton of flavor and while that’s cooking, I get going with the fresh salsa or pico de gallo as it’s also known. I don’t really think you can have chicken taco night without pico de gallo and I like to season mine with plenty of lime juice (or lemon juice), salt and pepper. I love that it adds fresh, zingyness which is then perfectly complimented by the creamy avocado and sour cream.
Table of Contents
- Chicken. Boneless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs can be used.
- Olive oil.
- Spices: Dried oregano, dried thyme, smoked paprika, salt and black pepper.
- Fresh lemon/lime.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Red onion.
- Fresh cilantro/coriander.
- Sour cream.
- Tortillas. I used flour tortillas but corn tortillas will be delicious too.
How to make chicken tacos
Marinate the chicken breasts in the olive oil, lemon/lime juice, crushed garlic and spices for 30 minutes. You can cover the chicken at this point and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Cook the chicken in a hot skillet or grill pan until golden brown and cooked through then remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
While the chicken is resting, chop the tomatoes, onion and cilantro and add to a mixing bowl. Season with olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper and mix well.
Heat the tortillas in a hot pan then assemble the tacos. Add a dollop of sour cream then add the sliced chicken, sliced avocado and a generous spoon of pico de Gallo. Finish with extra cilantro/coriander and serve immediately.
Can I make this ahead?
The chicken can be marinated for up to 24 hours in the fridge before cooking. The pico de Gallo can be prepped without the seasoning a few hours in advance.
What to add to chicken tacos
Serving chicken tacos like I did here with pico de Gallo, avocado and sour cream is a delicious and easy dinner but here are some ideas to add some interest if you want something different.
Chicken Tacos with Pico de Gallo
for the chicken
- 4 skinless chicken breasts sliced in half horizontally to create thinner cutlets
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
for the pico de gayo
- 2 ripe tomatoes cubed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- handful fresh coriander/cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and black pepper
- sour cream
- Slice the chicken breasts into two thinner cutlets then place in a bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well. Allow to marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan over high heat until hot then cook the chicken in until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is frying, combine all the ingredients for the pico de gallo and set aside.
- Serve the chicken and pico de gallo with avocado, sour cream and tortillas and extra lime wedges (optional).