This soy honey noodle salad with chicken and broccoli is an easy, healthy lunch recipe and perfect for making ahead.
Table of Contents
Full recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Noodles. I used egg noodles but feel free to use any noodles you prefer.
- Chicken. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Soy sauce.
- Lemon juice.
- Garlic powder.
- Chilli flakes.
- Sesame seeds.
- Spring onion / Green onion.
- Vegetables of your choice. I used broccoli but sugar snap peas, green beans, bok choy, kale, spinach and asparagus will all be delicious.
How to make noodle salad
- Prepare the chicken: Season boneless skinless chicken breasts with a little olive oil, salt, garlic powder and lemon juice. Cook in a hot frying pan or skillet until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the pan and allow to cool before slicing.
- Make the noodle salad: Boil noodles of your choice (ramen noodles, udon noodles, soba noodles or egg noodles all work well) in plenty of salted boiling water. Drain and rinse with cold water then place in a bowl. Add the sesame seeds and spring / green onions.
- Make the salad dressing: Combine the oil, soy sauce, honey, lemon juice and seasoning and mixing well. Pour the dressing over the noodles and toss to coat. Serve the noodle salad topped with cooked chicken and vegetables of your choice.
Can you freeze noodle salad?
Noodle salad doesn’t freeze very well so I wouldn’t recommend it. You can make the salad 3-4 days in advance though if you would like to meal prep ahead.
How to cook chicken for salad
- Quick cooking: To ensure the chicken cooks even faster, you can pound the chicken breasts thin between two sheets of parchment paper or slice them in half horizontally to create two thin chicken cutlets.
- Use spices to flavor: The easiest and most delicious way to cook chicken for salad is to grill or pan-fry it. Use skinless boneless chicken breasts and season generously with your favorite herbs and spices. Depending on the salad you are serving the chicken with, spice your chicken using spices that will compliment the salad. Herbs de Provence, Italian seasoning, dried oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme and sage are all delicious on chicken. Cumin, coriander, sumac, red pepper flakes/chilli flakes, paprika and Garam masala will give the chicken a lot of flavor. Garlic and ginger are always a good idea too! Add a bit of acidity in the form of lemon or lime juice then cook your chicken until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
Healthy lunch recipes
- Mexican chicken lunch bowls
- Curried chicken salad sandwiches
- Easy Vegetable soup
- Pea and feta quinoa salad
Soy honey noodle salad
for the noodles
- 500 g noodles
- 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon/lime juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chilli/red pepper flakes optional
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 spring/green onions finely chopped
for the chicken
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons oil
- garlic powder to taste
- salt to taste
- juice of ½ lemon
- For the noodle salad: Cook the noodles in salted boiling water until al dente then drain and rinse with cold water. Place in a large bowl with the sesame seeds and spring onion.
- Combine the soy sauce, honey, lemon juice, garlic powder, vegetable oil, chilli flakes and seasoning and mix well.
- Pour ¾ the dressing over the noodles and toss to combine.
- For the chicken: Heat a large, non-stick pan and add the oil. Season the chicken with salt and garlic powder and place in the pan. Cook on both sides until golden brown and cooked through. Add the lemon juice then remove and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- For the blanched broccoli: Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the broccoli. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes then remove and place in a bowl of ice water. Drain.
- Top the dressed noodles with sliced chicken and broccoli then pour over the remaining dressing. For meal prep: Add all the elements to plastic/glass lidded containers then place in the fridge for up to 4 days.