We love this chicken Alfredo recipe for dinner when we’re craving a bowl of creamy, delicious pasta. The pan-fried chicken is juicy and perfect with the homemade alfredo sauce and fettuccine.
Table of Contents
Alfredo sauce is the easiest, most delicious pasta sauce recipe and adding golden, seasoned chicken makes it the perfect weeknight family dinner. The chicken can be seasoned with any of your favorite seasonings but I like using Italian seasoning and a dash of garlic powder.
- Chicken breasts. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs will also work.
- Extra-virgin olive oil.
- Dried Italian herbs or Italian seasoning. Dried oregano or basil can also be used.
- Garlic powder.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Heavy cream or whipping cream.
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Pasta of your choice. I used fettuccine noodles but any shape you have works. Penne pasta, spaghetti, etc.
How to make chicken Alfredo
- Cook the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta or noodles of your choice then cook until al dente (usually 9-12 minutes). Reserve half a cup of pasta water and drain.
- How to cook chicken for chicken Alfredo: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts on a chopping board and carefully slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally to create two thin cutlets. Drizzle each piece of chicken with olive oil then season generously on both sides with 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Heat a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat then add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Make the Alfredo sauce: In the same pan over medium heat, melt a few tablespoons butter and add the crushed garlic. Scrape the bottom of the pan to bring up any golden bits from the chicken (this is a serious flavor bomb and tastes great in the finished sauce). Cook for 30 seconds then pour in the cream and add the remaining Italian seasoning. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 5 minutes then remove from the heat and add the Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine then season with salt and pepper.
- Combine: Slice the chicken with a sharp knife into thin strips then add to the Alfredo sauce. Combine the creamy sauce and chicken with cooked pasta along with a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking water and toss to coat. Serve the chicken fettuccine Alfredo sprinkled with fresh parsley and extra grated Parmesan cheese.
Can I make this ahead?
Alfredo sauce is always best freshly made and because it takes only minutes to make, I wouldn’t recommend making it in advance. However, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheeat in a pan set over medium-low heat with a splash of water or chicken broth (stock).
This is a delicious dish served on its own for dinner but adding a side of garlic bread, a salad or veggies like broccoli will turn it into a great family-friendly meal.
Adding freshly grated cheese will thicken the sauce. Make sure to add the cheese off the heat to prevent the sauce from going grainy.
Any hard cheese will work well in Alfredo sauce. Pecorino Romano, Grana Padano, Asiago are all good options.
My healthy Alfredo sauce recipe uses Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream for a lighter, healthier sauce.
Easy Chicken Alfredo Pasta
For the chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g (1lb) chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs / Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
For the Alfredo sauce
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced/crushed
- 2 cups heavy / whipping cream
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs / seasoning
- 1½ cups Parmesan cheese finely grated/shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
For the pasta
- 500 g (1lb) Fettuccine
- Parmesan to serve
- Parsley to serve
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta or noodles of your choice then cook until al dente (usually 9-12 minutes). Reserve half a cup of pasta water and drain.
- Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts on a chopping board and carefully slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally to create two thin cutlets.
- Drizzle each piece of chicken with olive oil then season generously on both sides with 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat then add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the same pan until foamy. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (30 seconds – 1 minute).
- Pour in the cream and herbs/seasoning then allow to come to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the cream has reduced slightly.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and allow to melt/cook for another 2-3 minutes until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper then combine with sliced chicken, cooked pasta and a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking water.
- Serve with fresh parsley and Parmesan.