Making pork sausage meatballs takes mere minutes and is so easy. This is the perfect comfy, cosy weeknight dinner recipe.
So listen, I’m not going to pretend that something really shocking didn’t happen yesterday and that we all need a little time to come to terms with those events. But we’re not going to think about that right now. Right now we need a break from the shock and just think about food. Because let’s face it, food is often the only comfort we have and/or need.
I made this recipe last night because I felt I needed something cosy, comfy and utterly delicious. I wanted to curl up on the couch with a bowl-full of something scrumptious while watching Parks & Recreation. Spaghetti and meatballs is one of my go-to comfort foods. It is just so incredibly satisfying. Every time I eat it I feel happy and like everything will be ok. However, I had no ground beef/chicken/pork in my freezer but what I did have was a packet of pork sausages/bangers. I’ve made meatballs from pork sausages before and knew that it would give me the comfort I needed whilst being quick and easy to make.
The great thing about sausage meatballs is that all the work has been done for you. All the seasoning and mixing has been taken care of, so all I did was press the sausage meat from the casings and formed little sausage meatballs. I fried them off until golden brown and then made a rich tomato sauce for them to be cooked in. I’m not kidding you, it took all of 20 minutes for the entire thing to be done and the pasta was cooked in that time too. If you have little hands helping you make the meatballs, I’m pretty sure you could cut down on that time even more. Served over perfectly cooked linguini, it was a perfect weeknight meal and one that will be on regular rotation in our house.
Easy pork sausage meatballs in tomato sauce
- 500 g pork sausages/bangers
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- salt & pepper to taste
- cooked pasta of your choice
- Cut the sausages open at one end and squeeze out the sausage meat into medium-sized meatballs. (I got 3 meatballs from each sausage).
- Form the meatballs with damp hands then fry in a hot frying pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cook until golden brown then remove from the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and fragrant then add the chopped tomatoes, thyme, vinegar and sugar.
- Cook for 5 minutes then add the meatballs back in and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce has reduced slightly. (If the sauce seems too thick to begin with, add a splash of water).
- Season to taste and serve on top of cooked pasta.
This was a great idea, I adapted it just a little and put some cheese in the middle of the meatball. My family loved it! Thank you
Do you think this would work with veggie sausages?
I’ve never tried it with that so I can’t say for sure. If you try it, please let me know how it turned out!
This is so great! I always have sausages in the freezer because I’m my kids love them and never thought of turning them into meatballs. Will definitely be trying this this week.
So glad you like the sound of it Candice. Please let me know what you thought once you’ve tried it!
That looks like the ultimate comfort food. I love the idea of using sausages for the meatballs. So clever.
Thanks Jenni. And it really is just so comforting! 🙂
When life throws a curveball, I also turn to my favorite foods for comfort. This plate would certainly help. This is just what I would pick to feed my body and soul.
You and me both. 🙂
Mary Ann @ thebeachhousekitchen
This would be, hands down, my family’s favorite comfort food meal Alida! Delicious!
Thanks Mary Ann! 🙂
Karen @ Seasonal Cravings
I’m with you! No more political talk…let’s eat our worries away. I can think of no better forget your worries meal than homemade meatballs. Yes please!
🙂 I’m glad we’re on the same page Karen. x