There are few things as glorious as fruit platter filled to the brim with ripe, juicy fresh fruit. Want to take this fruit plate over the top? Add a bowl of glossy, indulgent coconut chocolate ganache for dipping.
I made this fruit platter over the weekend when I had an overload of fresh fruit left over from a big campaign shoot I had been working on. I wanted to serve the fruit as plainly as possible to showcase only their own natural deliciousness. Let’s face it, is there anything better than the fragrance of fresh passion fruit or the juiciness of a ripe pineapple? I think not. To add a bit of decadence, I made a silky vegan coconut chocolate ganache for us to dip the berries in but let’s be honest, all the other fruit found themselves drenched in the chocolate sauce too!
This fruit plate makes a fantastic casual, easy dessert and works for almost all diets. The ganache is vegan (just make sure the chocolate you use contains no milk products) and as such is also lactose free. Because you’re working with dark chocolate, even your low-carb friends should be able to enjoy this easy fruit plate as a treat. And feel free to sub in any fruit you like or leave out those you don’t, anything goes. If you’re putting together a fruit platter in the colder months, clementines, pears, plums, pomegranate and dates will all be delicious additions.
How to make a fruit platter
- Use a variety of fresh fruit and slice them in different ways to add visual interest. Melons can be sliced into wedges, balled or sliced into fingers. Mango cheeks can be sliced and served as is. Use as many fruits as you can to add as much texture to your platter as possible.
- Dried fruit and nuts are also good additions.
- Add a dipping sauce for a decadent touch.
Most fruit will last fine for up to 2 hours when cut and covered with plastic wrap. Bananas, apples and pears will oxidize so only cut them right before serving.
- Easy caramel apple puff galette
- Classic baked cheesecake with easy berry sauce
- Mixed berry lattice pie
- Banana cream pie
Fruit plate with coconut chocolate ganache
for the coconut chocolate ganache
- 300 g (10oz) dark chocolate chopped
- 400 ml (13.5fl oz) coconut milk
for the fruit plate
- selection of fresh fruit of your choice (melon, mango, pineapple, grapes, berries, passion fruit, clementine, pears, banana, kiwi fruit, pomegranate, oranges, etc.)
- To make the ganache, heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan to boiling poing. Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate.
- Allow to stand for 1 minute then stir until smooth.
- Allow to cool then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve the fruit with the cooled ganache.