If you love apple pie but don’t like the fuss, this easy caramel apple puff pastry galette is the recipe of your dreams. So easy and SO delicious.
I’m not even going to be humble about this: This caramel apple puff pastry galette is by far the most delicious dessert I’ve eaten this year. You can trust me on this one, it is CRAZY good.
And yes, I am a little biased. Because a) this is my creation and b) I am obsessed with apple-pastry-anything. If you give me apples baked in pastry, I’m pretty much definitely loving it. But this is almost like an apple pie and an apple tarte tatin had a delicious baby and then I topped it with ice cream and more caramel. *swoon*
So pay attention because this is going to go quick. Peel and thinly slice apples. Toss with sugar, flour and flavourings. Pile onto puff pastry. Drizzle with caramel sauce. Bake until golden brown and gorgeous. Top with ice cream and more caramel. Done. EAT. <- This is our favourite part, yes?
Cook’s notes for Apple galette
- The apples will release liquid when baking. To combat this, sprinkle them with salt and sugar and allow to sit for 10 minutes then drain the apples. Alternatively, you can par-cook the sliced apples in the microwave for 3-4 minutes then drain and proceed with the recipe.
- Using shop-bought puff pastry makes this recipe easy and delicious but feel free to use any pie crust or dough. Sweet shortcrust pastry works very well.
- If you can’t find dulce de leche, any caramel sauce will work.
Can you make apple galette ahead?
Yes, you can assemble the galette all the way up to baking then cover well and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before baking.
- Chai spiced oatmeal with caramelized apples
- Classic apple pie with cinnamon cream
- Apple Fritters with spiced sugar
Caramel apple puff galette
- 8 Granny Smith apples peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- ½ cup caramel treat tinned caramel / dulce de leche
- ¼ cup cream
- 1 egg beaten
- Ice cream to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 170ºC/340°F and line an oven proof dish with parchment paper.
- Place the apples in a large bowl and add 2 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp salt. Allow to sit for 10 minutes then drain.
- Add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt and toss well.
- Place the puff pastry onto/into the prepared dish.
- Pile the apples onto the puff pastry.
- Mix together the caramel and cream then drizzle half of the mixture over the apples.
- Fold the corners of the pastry in then brush with beaten egg.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour until the apples are cooked and the pastry is golden brown and puffed. If the pastry is colouring too fast for your liking, loosely cover the galette with foil and continue baking.
- Remove from the oven then top with ice cream and the remaining caramel.