These ginger snap cookies are crisp, sweet and perfectly flavored with warming ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. They are a Christmas favorite and make fantastic homemade gifts.
Table of Contents
- Butter. I use room temperature salted butter, but feel free to use unsalted butter.
- White Sugar. Granulated sugar.
- Brown sugar. Muscavado, Demerara, etc.
- Golden syrup. Golden syrup is another addition to my cookie recipe that adds to the chewiness of these cookies. Golden syrup can be found in most supermarkets or online and is a great addition to your baking pantry. If you can’t find golden syrup, honey or corn syrup are good alternatives. Molasses can also be used.
- Flour. All purpose flour or cake flour.
- Baking soda.
- Spices. Ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Other spices like cloves, allspice and ground cardamom are also delicious in ginger cookies.
How to make Ginger Snap Cookies
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add the golden syrup and egg then mix until combined. Sift together the dry ingredients then add to the butter mixture and mix until just combined. Transfer the dough to the fridge and allow to chill for at least 30 minutes but ideally up to 24 hours.
Roll the dough into balls just slightly smaller than golf balls, then roll each dough ball in brown sugar. Place the dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet, spaced apart so they don’t spread into one another, then place in a preheated oven and allow to bake for 10-15 minutes until crisp and golden. Remove from the oven then allow to cool on a wire rack.
Can I make this ahead?
Yes! This cookie dough can be made far in advance and kept either frozen for up to 3 months or in the fridge for up to 3 days. I love gifting it during the Holiday Season. Simply wrap logs of the dough in parchment paper then twist the ends and secure with twine or festive ribbon. Whoever you gift these to can simply slice the dough and bake according to recipe instructions. Baked cookies can be kept in an airtight container or cookie jar for up to 2 weeks at room temperature.
Gingerbread dough is most often rolled out and cut into shapes while ginger snaps are rolled into balls and baked until the cookies are crisp and golden.
Christmas Cookie Recipes
- ¾ cup butter room temperature
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup golden syrup
- 3 cups flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- Line 2 large cookie sheets / baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and golden syrup and mix well.
- Sift in the dry ingredients then mix until just combined.
- Cover then refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes but ideally up to 24 hours.
- Roll the dough into balls, just slightly smaller than golf balls, then roll each ball in brown sugar (this step is optional).
- Place the cookies on the lined baking sheets then place in the oven and allow to bake for 10-15 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on wire racks before serving.