Juicy jalapeño lemon butter shrimp is a delicious, gluten free dinner served on creamy polenta.
Shrimp or prawns are a great go-to protein to have in your freezer. I love having a few bags in the freezer to turn into a delicious meal in no-time. This jalapeño lemon butter shrimp recipe is out-of-this-world delicious. Shrimp is always fantastic cooked in butter, lemon and garlic but the jalapeños add just the right amount of spice and flavor. The buttery shrimp is perfect served on creamy polenta for dinner and is a fancy-pants version of shrimp and grits.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to make jalapeño lemon butter shrimp
- 2 How to make polenta
- 3 What to serve with polenta
- 4 Jalapeño lemon butter shrimp on polenta
- 5 Shrimp recipes
How to make jalapeño lemon butter shrimp
If using whole shrimp/prawns, remove the vein along the back of the shrimp and carefully remove the head and shells. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels and season with salt. Sear the shrimp in a hot pan/skillet until golden brown on both sides then remove and set aside. In the same pan, melt the butter then add the garlic and jalapeños. Allow to cook for 30 seconds then add the lemon juice. Add the shrimp back into the pan and allow to cook for a minute or two then sprinkle with parsley and serve.
How to make polenta
For the creamiest polenta, combine 1 cup polenta with 4 cups stock or water and a pinch of salt. Allow to come to a simmer then reduce the heat, cover and allow to gently cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir in butter and remove from the heat. Allow to sit, covered, for another 10 minutes then serve.
What to serve with polenta
- Slow braised beef short ribs
- Beef shin stew with Parmesan dumplings
- Slow-braised Pork Ragu
- Meatballs baked in tomato sauce on polenta
- Slow-braised lamb shanks
Jalapeño lemon butter shrimp on polenta
For the jalapeño lemon butter shrimp
- 500 g (1lb) shrimp/prawns (deveined and shelled)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 jalapeño finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped
For the polenta
- 1 cup polenta
- 4 cups water/stock
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- To make the polenta: Bring the water/stock to a simmer in a pot and whisk in the polenta. Add the salt and then bring to a gentle simmer, continuously whisking. When the polenta starts bubbling, turn the heat down, cover and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes until the polenta is thick, creamy and soft (taste a small amount to make sure there is no hard, gritty pieces left). Stir in the butter then remove the pot from the heat and allow to sit, covered, for another 10 minutes.
- For the shrimp/prawns: Combine the shrimp with the oil, paprika and salt and mix well. Heat a large skillet/pan then fry the prawns in batches (to avoid overcrowding the pan) until golden brown on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the pan and add the garlic and jalapeño and allow to cook for 30 seconds. Add the lemon juice and the shrimp back into the pan and allow to cook for another minute or two. Scatter over the parsley and serve over the polenta.