This easy salami sandwich with caponata, cheese and tomatoes is a delicious summer lunch served on fresh olive bread and the perfect picnic recipe.
Table of Contents
Salami sandwiches are some of the most delicious out there. Layering the salty salami with Italian flavors will be a guaranteed hit. I used jarred Caponata (an Italian dish cooked with eggplant/aubergine and tomatoes) that is often served as an antipasto and added a generous layer to a big loaf of olive bread. The saucy Caponata soaks into the bread and adds a ton of flavor to the sandwich along with tomatoes, cheese and fresh arugula/rocket.
- Bread. I used olive bread but ciabatta or Italian bread will also work.
- Caponata. Substitute with basil pesto.
- Fresh arugula/rocket.
- Cheese. I used pepper jack but you can use any cheese of your choice.
- Fresh basil.
- Olive oil.
- Salt and black pepper.
How to make a salami sandwich
Slice the bread in half with a sharp bread knife. Generously spread the caponata onto the bread then follow with a layer of arugula/rocket. Add sliced tomatoes and season generously with salt and black pepper. Top with slices of cheese then add the salami. More is more here, so don’t be shy with the amount of salami you add. Top with fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil then serve.
Delicious sandwich recipes
- Smoked chicken sandwich with jalapeño mayo
- Chicken Caesar sandwich
- Steak sandwich with goat’s cheese butter
- Spicy green goddess sandwich with haloumi
- Turkey BLT Club sandwich
Side dishes for sandwiches
Easy salami sandwich
- 1 olive bread halved (alternatively use Ciabatta or French loaf)
- 1 cup Caponata Alternatively tapenade or pesto can be used
- 2 cups rocket/arugula
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 50 g (+- 2oz) cheese (cheddar, provolone or mozzarella will all work well)
- 100 g (+- 4oz) salami
- fresh basil
- Halve the olive bread horizontally.
- Layer on the Caponata followed by the rocket/arugula, tomatoes (seasoned with salt and pepper), cheese, salami and basil.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the top layer of bread and place onto the sandwich.
- Slice into 4 servings and serve.