Look, I’ve never said no to a good cocktail and when I first had a version of this one at KOI (my favourite Asian restaurant), I was hooked. The way the floral acidity of the passion fruit (or granadilla as we call them in South Africa) and the ginger complement each other is just magic and it makes for a fantastic cocktail.
I made this during the festive season and kept it in a jug in the fridge and just filled up my glass every time I ventured away from the pool. It makes for an incredibly refreshing drink and if you were so inclined you could leave out the alcohol (which makes it a great drink for kids as well). I used light rum but you could use vodka or tequila instead as well. Or all three. I’m not here to judge.
Table of Contents
Passionfruit & ginger cocktailPrint Pin Rate
for the ginger passion fruit syrup
- 200 g sugar
- 500 ml water
- 1 x 5cm piece of ginger sliced
- pulp and seeds from 10 passion fruit
- juice and zest of 2 lemons
- light rum
- soda water/sparkling water
- fresh mint
- lemon slices
- To make the syrup, bring the sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, add the passion fruit, ginger and the lemon juice and zest and remove from the heat. Allow to cool.
- To serve, pour a little of the syrup into a glass filled with ice then add some light rum and fill up with soda water. Add the mint and lemon and serve.
- Alternatively, combine all the ingredients in a large jug.