Look, I’ve never said no to a good cocktail and when I first had a version of this one at KOI (my favourite Asian restaurant), I was hooked. The way the floral acidity of the passion fruit (or granadilla as we call them in South Africa) and the ginger complement each other is just magic and it makes for a fantastic cocktail.
I made this during the festive season and kept it in a jug in the fridge and just filled up my glass every time I ventured away from the pool. It makes for an incredibly refreshing drink and if you were so inclined you could leave out the alcohol (which makes it a great drink for kids as well). I used light rum but you could use vodka or tequila instead as well. Or all three. I’m not here to judge.
Passionfruit & ginger cocktailPrint Pin Rate Add to Shopping ListGo to Shopping List
for the ginger passion fruit syrup
- 200 g sugar
- 500 ml water
- 1 x 5cm piece of ginger sliced
- pulp and seeds from 10 passion fruit
- juice and zest of 2 lemons
- light rum
- soda water/sparkling water
- fresh mint
- lemon slices
- To make the syrup, bring the sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, add the passion fruit, ginger and the lemon juice and zest and remove from the heat. Allow to cool.
- To serve, pour a little of the syrup into a glass filled with ice then add some light rum and fill up with soda water. Add the mint and lemon and serve.
- Alternatively, combine all the ingredients in a large jug.
I had something similar to this when holidaying in Sri Lanka except they added an infused chilli syrup to it! It was amazing!
Love that you used passionfruit! It’s such a beautiful cocktail and I’m sure it tastes amazing too!
Thanks Eden! It’s probably one of my favourites and now that we are properly in Summer here in South Africa, I make it more often than I’d like to admit.
I’m in search of great drinks that’s less on the pocket. I’m inspired by this website.???? Yessss
Anna, it is there, or am I seeing things? 😉
Love how pretty it looks and refreshing too! For me, ginger always adds that smack and I love adding it in my drinks, cocktail or not.
Kankana, I so agree. I often have a jug of soda water with ginger, fresh fruit, lemon and mint in the fridge and the ginger just does something magical to it.
Am I being really silly, but where does the Ginger come into this? Not seeing any in the recipe!
Hi – I’m missing the ginger in the recipe? 🙂