There are few desserts/pastries that are sure to impress like a well-made Frangipane tart. I am beyond in love with the subtle almond flavour the Frangipane cream filling adds. Add some tart, juicy berries and a thin, crisp crust and you have pastry perfection.
I’ve made Frangipane before but used Nectarines and although this is an equally delicious way of making this tart, the raspberries add an incredible dimension of flavour that can only be achieved with slightly sour fruit. I decided to spread a thin layer of good quality raspberry preserves on the pastry before adding the filling to pump up the raspberry flavour.
I served this as dessert when we had guests last week and everyone raved about how phenomenal it was. Probably my favourite dessert at the moment and I can’t wait to bake it again. Definitely a show stopper.
for the pastry
- 200 g flour
- 50 g icing sugar
- 125 g cold butter diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
for the filling
- 150 g butter room temperature
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 ml almond essence
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 150 g ground almonds
- 50 g flour
- 200 g raspberries
- 5 tablespoons raspberry preserves/jam
- To make the pastry, combine the flour, icing sugar and butter in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles chunky breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and with the motor running, add the ice water, spoon by spoon until the pastry comes together and forms a ball.
- Remove from the processor and wrap in clingfilm. Place in the fridge and allow to chill for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c.
- When the pastry has chilled, roll out to fit your tart dish and line the bottom and sides.
- To make the frangipane filling, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the essence, eggs and egg yolk and mix until combined.
- Fold in the ground almonds and flour and set aside.
- Spread the raspberry preserves over the pastry (to cover the bottom surface) and dollop on the Frangipane mixture.
- Spread and smooth the creamy filling and dot the surface with the fresh raspberries.
- Place the tart in the oven and allow to bake for 30 minutes.
- When the tart is baked, remove from the oven and allow to come to room temperature before serving.