Mexican chicken soup with charred baby corn
Aromatic Mexican chicken soup with sweet, charred baby corn makes for a showstopping meal when served with fresh jalapeños and avocado.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper de-seeded and finely chopped
- 250 g mushrooms finely chopped (approximately 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 400 g chopped tomatoes approximately 14oz can
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 10 ears of baby corn char grilled and sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
for the charred baby corn
- 10 ears baby corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- sliced avocado
- fresh parsley/coriander
- sliced jalapeños
- chopped spring onion
Saute the onion and carrot in a splash of oil until soft and fragrant (approximately 10 minutes) then add the peppers and mushrooms and saute for a further 10 minutes.
Add the garlic and spices and saute for 30 seconds before adding the chopped tomatoes, sugar and stock. Lower the heat and allow to simmer gently for 20 minutes.
In the meantime, coat the baby corn in the olive oil and grill in a griddle pan until charred all over and cooked through. Slice and add to the soup.
When the soup has reduced slightly, add the shredded chicken then season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
Allow the chicken to warm through then serve topped with the avocado, fresh herbs, jalapeños and spring onion.
Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 322mg | Potassium: 673mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4390IU | Vitamin C: 72.2mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2.3mg