Aromatic Mexican chicken soup with sweet, charred baby corn makes for a showstopping meal when served with fresh jalapeños and avocado.
Ok disclaimer time: This soup is probably not at all Mexican but listen, adding all those delicious spices and then topping it with avocado made it taste quite a lot like delicious chicken tacos in soup form so I’m going with it. Anyway, no matter what this is called, it’s probably the most delicious soup I’ve ever made. In fact, I’m surprised I haven’t posted this recipe before now because I’m not lying to you, I’ve made this recipe weekly since last May.
I first made it because I had some rotisserie chicken left over and knew chicken soup would be the best way to stretch it into another meal. I pretty much emptied the fridge and used peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic etc. and made a very tomatoey (that’s a word!) broth.
What I love most about this soup is that it’s really easy to adjust according to what you have in the house. I’ve added courgette (zucchini), beans (although my kids aren’t big fans), frozen corn, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower and chunks of sweet potato. You can literally use any vegetable you have in the fridge. You can even leave out the chicken and make a fantastic vegan soup since there’s also no dairy involved.
I really love using left-over roast chicken though. The trick is to only add it right at the end to heat through. To enrich the soup, I use chicken stock I make every time we’ve had a roast chicken and that gelatinous, richness of the homemade stock really enhances the soup. However, good quality shop-bought stock or stock concentrate will work well too.
How to make Mexican chicken soup?
Sauté onions, carrots, celery, peppers and garlic until soft and aromatic then add the remaining vegetables and allow to soften. Add stock, tomatoes and seasoning then allow to simmer until all the vegetables are cooked. Add shredded cooked chicken and allow to warm through then serve topped with charred baby corn and sliced avocado.
What vegetables can you put in chicken soup?
Soup is a great way to use up any leftover vegetable you have that need using.
- Onion, celery, carrots and garlic are a great base for any soup.
- Potatoes, sweet potatoes or pumpkin
- Broccoli, cauliflower or kale.
What spices are good in chicken soup?
Depending on how spicy you want the soup to be, herbs like thyme, sage, bay leaves, rosemary and parsley work well. Spices like cumin, coriander, paprika and chili powder add warmth and lots of extra flavor.
What to serve with Mexican chicken soup
- Corn chips
- Cheese quesadillas
- Sour cream
Chicken soup recipes
- Easy healthy chicken broccoli soup
- Chicken noodle soup recipe
- Creamy broccoli chicken gnocchi soup
- Chicken curry soup
Mexican chicken soup with charred baby corn
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper de-seeded and finely chopped
- 250 g (½lb) mushrooms finely chopped (approximately 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 400 g (14oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 10 ears of baby corn char grilled and sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
for the charred baby corn
- 10 ears baby corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- sliced avocado
- fresh parsley/coriander
- sliced jalapeños
- chopped spring onion
- Saute the onion and carrot in a splash of oil until soft and fragrant (approximately 10 minutes) then add the peppers and mushrooms and saute for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices and saute for 30 seconds before adding the chopped tomatoes, sugar and stock. Lower the heat and allow to simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, coat the baby corn in the olive oil and grill in a griddle pan until charred all over and cooked through. Slice and add to the soup.
- When the soup has reduced slightly, add the shredded chicken then season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Allow the chicken to warm through then serve topped with the avocado, fresh herbs, jalapeños and spring onion.