Aromatic Mexican chicken soup with sweet, charred baby corn makes for a showstopping meal when served with fresh jalapeños and avocado.
Table of Contents
- 1 Ingredients needed
- 2 How to make Mexican chicken soup?
- 3 What vegetables can you put in chicken soup?
- 4 What spices are good in chicken soup?
- 5 Can I make this ahead?
- 6 What to serve with Mexican chicken soup
- 7 FAQ
- 8 Chicken soup recipes
- 9 Mexican chicken soup with charred baby corn
- Peppers. Red/green/yellow bell peppers.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Spices: Oregano, bay leaf, ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika, chilli flakes/red pepper flakes.
- Canned tomatoes.
- Chicken broth/stock.
- Shredded chicken. Rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken works well. Alternatively, poach chicken breasts in the soup while its simmering then remove and shred the meat.
- Baby corn.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Lime juice.
- Garnishes: Avocado, fresh cilantro/coriander, lime wedges, jalapeño.
How to make Mexican chicken soup?
- Make the base: Heat a large pot/Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sauté onions, carrots, celery, peppers and garlic until soft and aromatic. Add the remaining vegetables and cook until they start to caramelize slightly around the edge then add the herbs and spices and allow to cook for another minute. Pour in the stock and tomatoes then allow to simmer until all the vegetables are cooked, approximately 20 minutes.
- Char the corn: While the soup cooks, cook the corn. Drizzle olive oil over the baby corn then cook in a hot griddle pan until golden brown and starting to char slightly. Season with salt and set aside.
- Add the chicken and serve: Stir in the shredded cooked chicken and allow to warm through then serve in bowls topped with charred baby corn and sliced avocado, coriander/cilantro, jalapenos and lime.
What vegetables can you put in chicken soup?
Soup is a great way to use up any leftover vegetable you have that need using.
- Onion, celery, carrots and garlic are a great base for any soup.
- Potatoes, sweet potatoes or pumpkin
- Broccoli, cauliflower or kale.
- Black beans/kidney beans etc. can also be added.
What spices are good in chicken soup?
Depending on how spicy you want the soup to be, herbs like thyme, sage, bay leaves, rosemary and parsley work well. Spices like cumin, coriander, paprika and chili powder add warmth and lots of extra flavor.
Can I make this ahead?
Yes! This is one of my favorite soup recipes to prepare ahead of time. Allow the cooked soup to cool to room temperature then transfer to freezer bags or airtight containers. Freeze for up to 3 months or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
What to serve with Mexican chicken soup
This soup is delicious served with crusty bread or tortilla chips but it’s also great over rice. I love serving it with cheesy quesadillas too.
Caldo de Pollo (Mexican chicken soup) is incredibly nutritious. It’s packed with vegetables (fibre, vitamins and minerals), protein and good fats.
Season your soup generously with salt and add a squeeze of lemon juice/lime juice to brighten the flavors. Spices and a variety of vegetables will also add loads of flavor.
If simmered for long enough, the soup will reduce slightly and thicken naturally. You can also blend half of the vegetables and add back into the soup for a thicker texture. Alternatively, thicken the soup with corn starch or flour.
Chicken soup recipes
- Easy healthy chicken broccoli soup
- Chicken noodle soup recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken curry soup
Mexican chicken soup with charred baby corn
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper de-seeded and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 400 g (14oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
for the charred baby corn
- 10 ears baby corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- sliced avocado
- fresh parsley/coriander
- sliced jalapeños
- chopped spring onion
- Saute the onion and carrot in a splash of oil until soft and fragrant (approximately 10 minutes) then add the peppers and mushrooms and saute for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices and saute for 30 seconds before adding the chopped tomatoes, sugar and stock. Lower the heat and allow to simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, coat the baby corn in the olive oil and grill in a griddle pan until charred all over and cooked through. Slice and add to the soup.
- When the soup has reduced slightly, add the shredded chicken then season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Allow the chicken to warm through then serve topped with the avocado, fresh herbs, jalapeños and spring onion.