Easy healthy chicken broccoli soup
This easy healthy chicken broccoli soup is the perfect simple recipe for cozy winter dinners. Easy comfort food in a bowl served with crusty bread.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp chilli flakes/red pepper flakes (optional)
- 5 cups broccoli stems removed and finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock/broth (Home-made or good quality store bought )
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
Sauté the onion, celery, carrot and broccoli stalks in a splash of oil until soft and fragrant and just starting to brown (this takes around 10 minutes).
Add the garlic, bay leaf and herbs and sauté for another minute before adding the chicken stock, milk and cornflour mixture.
Bring to a simmer then add the broccoli florets and shredded chicken.
Allow to cook for 15 minutes then season with salt, pepper and lemon (optional).
Serve with crusty bread.
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 174mg | Potassium: 753mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4070IU | Vitamin C: 70.8mg | Calcium: 164mg | Iron: 1.7mg