This easy healthy chicken broccoli soup is the perfect simple recipe for cozy winter dinners. Easy comfort food in a bowl served with crusty bread.
On chilly nights there’s just nothing better than having a steaming bowl of flavorful soup to warm you up and this easy, healthy chicken broccoli soup is like a hug in a bowl. It’s creamy and full of texture while not being too heavy or weighed down with cream or a flour base.
I use a cornstarch slurry to thicken the soup slightly but that’s totally optional. Other ways to thicken the soup is to add some mashed potatoes or by pureeing a third of the soup and stirring it back into the pot. The milk adds creaminess but can also be substituted with a dairy-free version or simply use chicken stock instead. It’s the kind of recipe that comes together quickly (thanks to the rotisserie chicken) with no fuss but be sure to make a big pot because this is seriously good for lunch the next day.
How do you make chicken and broccoli soup?
Start by sautéing onion, celery, carrot and chopped broccoli stalks until soft and fragrant then add garlic and seasoning. Add chicken stock, milk and cornflour mix (optional to thicken) and bring to a simmer. Cook until the soup has thickened slighlty then add the broccoli and shredded chicken. Allow to cook until the broccoli is soft. Season to taste and serve with crusty bread.
What to serve with chicken soup:
- Easy garlic butter dinner rolls
- Easy cheesy corn beer bread
- Potato, Pecorino & Rosemary bread
- Cheese and herb beer bread
- Honey roasted butternut squash soup
- Creamy broccoli chicken gnocchi soup
- Easy chicken noodle soup
- Easy Vegetable soup
Easy healthy chicken broccoli soup
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp chilli flakes/red pepper flakes (optional)
- 5 cups broccoli stems removed and finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock/broth (Home-made or good quality store bought )
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- Sauté the onion, celery, carrot and broccoli stalks in a splash of oil until soft and fragrant and just starting to brown (this takes around 10 minutes).
- Add the garlic, bay leaf and herbs and sauté for another minute before adding the chicken stock, milk and cornflour mixture.
- Bring to a simmer then add the broccoli florets and shredded chicken.
- Allow to cook for 15 minutes then season with salt, pepper and lemon (optional).
- Serve with crusty bread.