This easy healthy chicken broccoli soup is the perfect simple recipe for cozy winter dinners. Easy comfort food in a bowl served with crusty bread.
Table of Contents
- Herbs/spices: Bay leaf, dried mixed herbs, oregano, thyme, chilli flakes. You can use any fresh or dried herbs of your choice.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Broccoli. I used fresh broccoli but you could use frozen broccoli too.
- Chicken stock/chicken broth. Chicken bone broth is an excellent addition that will add even more goodness to the soup.
- Milk. The milk adds creaminess but is completely optional. Substitute with plant-based milk or stock. You could also use heavy cream if you wanted a richer soup.
- Cornstarch. I used a slurry of cornstarch and milk/stock to thicken the soup slightly but again, this step is optional. Flour can be used instead.
- Chicken. I used shredded rotisserie chicken but leftover roast chicken is also a good idea. Alternatively, poach chicken breasts in the soup until cooked through and shred.
How to make chicken and broccoli soup?
- Make the base: In a large pot or Dutch oven set over medium-high heat, add a few tablespoons of olive oil or butter. Start by sautéing onion, celery, carrot and chopped broccoli stalks until soft and fragrant then add garlic and seasoning. Stir in chicken stock, milk and cornstarch mix (optional to thicken) and bring to a boil.
- Cook the soup: Simmer until the soup has thickened slightly then add the broccoli and shredded chicken. Allow to cook until the broccoli is tender, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Serve: Season to taste and serve with crusty bread.
Can I freeze this?
This soup freezes very well. Allow the cooked soup to cool completely then transfer to freezer-safe containers or freezer bags. Freeze for up to 3 months and thaw completely before reheating in a saucepan until hot and bubbling. Any leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheated on the stove or in the microwave.
Can I make this in a slow cooker?
This recipe is fantastic in a crock pot. Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3-4 hours. Similarly, you can make this in an Instant Pot and cook for 10 minutes on high pressure.
What to serve with chicken soup:
As with any soup, good crusty bread is always a delicious side dish. Dinner rolls or beer bread are great too!
- Easy garlic butter dinner rolls
- Easy crusty bread
- Cheesy pull apart garlic bread
- Cheese and herb beer bread
- Honey roasted butternut squash soup
- Creamy broccoli chicken gnocchi soup
- Easy chicken noodle soup
- Easy Vegetable soup
Easy healthy chicken broccoli soup
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp chilli flakes/red pepper flakes (optional)
- 5 cups broccoli stems removed and finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock/broth (Home-made or good quality store bought )
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- Sauté the onion, celery, carrot and broccoli stalks in a splash of oil until soft and fragrant and just starting to brown (this takes around 10 minutes).
- Add the garlic, bay leaf and herbs and sauté for another minute before adding the chicken stock, milk and cornflour mixture.
- Bring to a simmer then add the broccoli florets and shredded chicken.
- Allow to cook for 15 minutes then season with salt, pepper and lemon (optional).
- Serve with crusty bread.