This easy grilled chicken and vegetables recipe takes 30 minutes to make and is a delicious, healthy family dinner plus it is great for meal-prep.
Speedy dinners are the name of the game but mean nothing if they don’t pack a serious flavor punch. This easy grilled chicken recipe with the most delicious vegetables ticks all the boxes for a perfect family meal. Easy, healthy and totally delicious with a simple marinade to give the chicken and vegetables a big boost of yum!
This recipe works as well on an outdoor grill as it does in a griddle pan on the stove. Be sure to pre-heat both well to get a good sear on the chicken and vegetables without overcooking them.
- Chicken. I use skinless, boneless chicken breasts because they cook so quickly.
- Lemon juice.
- Olive oil.
- Chilli flakes / Red pepper flakes.
- Salt and pepper.
- Vegetables of your choice.
How do you grill chicken without drying it out?
The most accurate way to get juicy, delicious chicken on the grill is to use a meat thermometer. That way you know when the chicken is cooked through without overcooking and therefore drying out the chicken breast. Chicken breasts that are marinated or brined are also often juicier than plain grilled breasts. Plus, the marinate/brine will result in tastier chicken. It’s also important to allow the chicken to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing. This gives the juices time to redistribute through the meat and not run out onto the cutting board.
Preheat your grill on high setting for 10 minutes. Place the chicken on the grill and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes per side, depending on thickness. I flip my chicken 2-3 times during cooking to ensure even browning.
How long to grill chicken?
The FDA says chicken breast should be cooked to 73ºC/165ºF interior temperature for it to be safe from any Salmonella, etc. I prefer taking chicken off the grill at 68ºC/155ºF as the temperature will continue rising as it rests. I’m also comfortable with cooking it a little less as I know I’m using safe, organic chicken but if you’re worried, cooking it to 73ºC/165ºF is a safe bet and especially important if you’re cooking for anyone with a sensitive immune system.
Best vegetables for grilling
- Zucchini / Courgette (and any summer squash in general)
- Bell peppers / Sweet peppers
- Par-cooked baby potatoes
- Tomatoes on the vine
Grilled chicken recipes
- Greek orzo salad with grilled chicken
- Grilled peri-peri chicken thighs
- Grilled Chicken fajita skewers
- Mexican grilled chicken with pico de gallo
30-minute easy grilled chicken and vegetables
For the marinade
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 4 large chicken breasts skinless + de-boned
- 2 bell peppers seeds removed and sliced into thick strips
- 12-16 spears asparagus woody ends trimmed
- 2-3 large zucchini/courgette sliced into thick slices
- Pre-heat the grill/griddle pan.
- Season the chicken with salt and allow to sit while you make the marinade.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients and mix well. Pour half of the marinade over the chicken and the other half over the vegetables. Allow to marinade for a few minutes.
- Grill the chicken for 5-7 minutes per side (depending on thickness) until cooked to your preference. Remove from the grill, cover with foil and allow to rest while you grill the vegetables.
- Grill the vegetables until they are starting to char and are cooked to your preference.
- Remove from the grill and serve with the chicken and lemon wedges for squeezing.
- Vegetable amounts are just a guide, use as much or as little as you wish. Also feel free to swap out vegetables you prefer.