Table of Contents
- 1 How to make Greek orzo salad
- 2 What to serve with Greek orzo salad
- 3 Greek recipes you will love:
- 4 Greek orzo salad with grilled chicken
This Greek orzo salad topped with succulent grilled chicken is a fantastic recipe for an easy lunch or light dinner and makes an excellent packed lunch.
I have something to confess. I have eaten this Greek orzo salad every day this week. And I don’t think I’m going to stop anytime soon. You see, I made the orzo salad on Sunday for a casual, easy lunch and made a little (A LOT) too much and have been feasting on the leftovers all week.
This salad is just a great stand-by and topped with the juicy grilled chicken makes an awesome lunch or light dinner. You could of course keep things vegetarian and leave out the chicken and you could add some chick peas for extra fiber. But whatever you do, make enough so that you can have some for lunch the next day (and the next and the next) because the longer this salad sits, the more delicious it gets. Now if you’ll excuse me, I think there might still be some left in the fridge and I think I could do with some Greek-inspired deliciousness.
How to make Greek orzo salad
Cook orzo (or any pasta rice) until al dente in plenty of salted, boiling water. Drain and rinse then combine with cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, cucumber, red onion and feta cheese. Make a simple dressing by combining olive oil, fresh lemon juice, dried oregano, salt and pepper and mixing well. Pour over the salad, mix and serve. The salad can be kept covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
What to serve with Greek orzo salad
- Lemon herb chicken breasts
- Easy Greek pork chops
- Grilled steak with blistered tomatoes
- Greek pork souvlaki
Greek recipes you will love:
- Greek meatballs with feta cheese
- Easy Greek chicken grain bowl
- Greek lamb chops with Tzatziki
- Baked Greek chicken and potatoes
- Greek feta phyllo pies
Greek orzo salad with grilled chicken
for the grilled chicken
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
for the Greek orzo salad
- 500 g orzo/pasta rice cooked and cooled
- 1 cucumber chopped
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup olives pitted and halved
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
for the dressing
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Halve the chicken horizontally so you are left with two thin chicken breasts. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper then pour over the chicken breasts and allow to marinate for 10 minutes while you heat a griddle pan.
- To make the Greek orzo salad, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad, mix and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Cook the marinated chicken in a hot griddle pan until cooked through then remove and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving with the Greek orzo salad.