This refreshing, zesty arugula salad recipe with lemon Parmesan dressing is the easiest side dish you can make. It is a great, healthy side to serve with any protein and can be made in less than 5 minutes.
Table of Contents
- Shaved Parmesan cheese. Pretty much any cheese will work in this salad. I like Parmesan or Pecorino Romano but goat cheese, feta cheese, mozzarella etc. will all be delicious.
- For the vinaigrette: Lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, Parmesan cheese, fresh garlic cloves, salt and black pepper. Balsamic vinegar can also be used and if you prefer a sweeter dressing, add a teaspoon of honey.
- Optional: I like to keep this salad super simple but pine nuts, sliced almonds, walnuts, cubed avocado, dried cranberries, cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs etc can all be added.
How to make arugula salad
Make the dressing in the serving bowl by whisking together grated garlic, Parmesan cheese, fresh lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Add the arugula/rocket to the bowl then toss to coat the leaves in the dressing. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the Parmesan cheese and add to the salad. Toss again and serve.
What to serve with arugula salad
This salad is absolutely delicious but arugula is also so packed full calcium, potassium, Vitamin C and fiber and low in carbohydrates so it’s a powerhouse ingredient and makes a delicious gluten-free addition to any meal.
Arugula salad is the perfect side dish to serve with any protein. It works well with chicken, pork, beef or lamb and the zesty dressing makes it a good addition to any meal containing seafood and fish like salmon, shrimp or mussels. It’s also a great salad to add to sandwiches or on top of pizza.
Easy salad recipes
Easy Arugula Salad with Lemon Parmesan Dressing
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
For the salad
- 6 cups arugula/rocket
- 60 g (2oz) Parmesan cheese shaved
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a serving bowl.
- Add the arugula and toss with the dressing.
- Add the shaved Parmesan cheese and toss again.
- Serve immediately.