This grilled halloumi salad with ripe tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and basil is going to become your new favorite salad. It’s the perfect summer side dish or meat-free lunch. Fresh, healthy and delicious.
Table of Contents
- Halloumi cheese.
- Ripe tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, etc.
- Cucumber. I used English cucumbers but Mediterranean cucumber will be delicious too.
- Red onion.
- Fresh basil. Other fresh herbs like fresh mint, parsley, oregano or arugula/rocket can also be used. Greens like baby spinach or baby kale will also be delicious.
- For the dressing: Extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, red wine vinegar/Balsamic vinegar, salt and black pepper.
What is halloumi?
Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese (from Cyprus) made from a mixture of goat’s and sheep’s milk (although sometimes cow’s milk is also used). It’s a salty, firm cheese that is often described as having a squeaky texture. Because of its high melting point, it is ideal for grilling or frying as it won’t melt easily.
How to grill halloumi
I love grilling halloumi but pan-frying works well too. Pre-heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Slice the cheese into 1-2cm thick slices then add to the hot pan. Allow to grill for 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown on both sides. Remove the grilled halloumi cheese from the heat, drain on paper towels and serve immediately with fresh lemon and a drizzle of honey.
How to make grilled halloumi salad
Slice tomatoes, cucumber and red onion and place into a large bowl. Add the fresh basil leaves. In a small bowl, whisk together extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, salt and black pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Grill the halloumi then add to the salad and serve immediately.
What to serve with halloumi salad
This salad is a fantastic side for almost any form of protein but I love serving it with grilled chicken or lamb chops. It’s also a delicious vegetarian dish and makes a great appetizer or easy lunch.
Easy salad recipes
Grilled Halloumi salad
- 200 g (7 oz) halloumi cheese
- 3 large tomatoes (or 3-4 cups cherry tomatoes)
- 1 English cucumber
- ½ red onion
- handful fresh basil leaves
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Slice the tomatoes, cucumber and red onion then add to a large bowl.
- Scatter over the fresh basil leaves.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad then toss to combine.
- Preheat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Slice the halloumi cheese into 1-2cm thick slices.
- Grill the halloumi for 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown then remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add the cheese to the salad and serve.