This easy cauliflower korma curry is a delicious vegetarian, gluten free meal served with fluffy steamed rice, naan bread and toasted cashew nuts for crunch.
We are a family of curry lovers and whenever I make curry, I am assured that there will be nothing but clean plates by the end of dinner. And that’s exactly what happened with this cauliflower korma curry. I have shared my recipes for both Chicken korma and Lamb korma before and I have to say, this vegetarian, gluten free cauliflower version might just be my favorite. For now. 😉
Served with fluffy steamed rice and naan bread for scooping with a scattering of toasted cashews, this becomes a feast and is the perfect meal for feeding a crowd.
What is korma sauce made of?
Korma is a thick, creamy curry sauce made with nuts (usually almonds or cashews) and warm, aromatic spices like turmeric, coriander, cumin, cardamom, ginger and garlic.
What spices are in Korma Curry?
- Garam Masala
- Cayenne pepper/Chili powder
How do you make homemade korma?
Toss cauliflower florets and stems with oil and spices then roast until caramelized and tender. Make a korma curry sauce by sautéeing onions, garlic and ginger in butter until soft and fragrant. Add the spices and allow to cook for a minute. Soak cashew nuts in boiling water for 10 minutes then drain and blend with the sautéed onion mixture, stock and cream until smooth.
Pour the sauce into a saucepan, add the roasted cauliflower and season to taste. Allow to simmer gently for 10 minutes (add more stock if the sauce is too thick). Serve with rice, naan bread and toasted cashew nuts.
Cauliflower korma curry
For the roasted cauliflower
- 1½ kg/ 3.3lbs cauliflower florets and stems (approximately 2 large heads of cauliflower)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt
For the korma curry
- 1½ cups raw cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp butter/ghee
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala (you can also use Korma curry powder)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups stock/broth
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tsp sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF.
- Combine all the ingredients for the roasted cauliflower and mix well.
- Spread the spiced cauliflower onto a lined baking sheet then place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes or until the cauliflower is caramelized and fork tender.
- In the meantime, soak the cashews in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in the butter until soft and fragrant. Add the spices and cook for another minute.
- Drain the cashews then transfer to a blender with the onion mixture, stock and cream.
- Blend until smooth then pour into a saucepan and season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Add the roasted cauliflower and allow to simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve with rice, naan and toasted cashews.