Creamy, delicious chicken salad with celery, grapes and onion used as a filling for multigrain bread, creating the ultimate chicken salad sandwich.
It’s no secret that I’m prone to love a good sandwich. I think it’s the ultimate food type. Whether it’s a juicy, hamburger with mature cheddar and mayo or quiveringly rare roast beef with mustard and onions, I love them all. Of course, a sandwich is only as good as the bread it is made with and so I always try to use bread that has been made with good flour and have no preservatives and additives. I have found two excellent bakeries in Pretoria who do bread better than anyone else. Broodhuijs and Lucky Bread Co. are both in the Brooklyn/Nieuw Muckleneuk area and so very conveniently located for me. Broodhuijs is literally 500m away from my home and I could not be happier about it (their pastries and coffee are also absolutely phenomenal).
So when I had a loaf of Broodhuijs’ multigrain loaf a while ago, I knew I wanted to make a fabulous sandwich with it. I’ve always been a fan of the classic Chicken Mayo sandwich and wanted to upgrade it a little. I added finely chopped celery, onion and quartered grapes because I wanted to add texture and flavour and instead of using all mayo, I mixed a little Greek yoghurt into the dressing which lightens it up slightly and adds a delicious tang. Served on the chewy multigrain bread, it made for a most delicious sandwich.
Chicken salad sandwich
For the filling
- 2 chicken breasts poached with a bay leaf garlic and lemon rind in chicken stock
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1/3 cup red onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup grapes quartered
- 1/3 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
- juice of 1/2-1 lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
For the sandwich
- bread of your choice
- micro herb leaves I used rocket to add some pepperiness
- After you've poached the chicken, allow to cool completely then shred into a bowl.
- Add the celery, red onion and grapes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mayo, yoghurt, lemon juice and seasoning.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken and mix well. Adjust seasoning if necessary. (At this point, the salad can be served as is with lettuce).
- To assemble the sandwich, top the slices of bread with lettuce, chicken salad and finish with the the micro herbs.
- Serve immediately.
When you say to poach the chicken breasts with lemon rind, do you mean only the yellow outer zest or can I just throw the whole thing in there? Thanks in advance!
The zest will give you the most flavour. You could add the whole thing but just be careful that it doesn’t add a bitter taste.
Thanks for the lovely comment Susan!
Susan @ Farmgirl Fare
This looks fantastic! There’s nothing better than a classic chicken salad sandwich on fabulous bread. I love the idea of adding micro rocket greens. Thanks for the delicious inspiration. 🙂
Sune, it really is just a wonderful bakery.
Thanks for the thumbs-up for Broodhuijs. I’ve been driving past there and wondering if I should have a peek inside.
The filling looks delicious! 🙂
Og, daai broodjie lyk baie lekker!!