Table of Contents
- 1 Chicken salad sandwich
Creamy, delicious chicken salad with celery, grapes and onion used as a filling for multigrain bread, creating the ultimate chicken salad sandwich.
It’s no secret that I’m prone to love a good sandwich. I think it’s the ultimate food type. Whether it’s a juicy, hamburger with mature cheddar and mayo or quiveringly rare roast beef with mustard and onions, I love them all. Of course, a sandwich is only as good as the bread it is made with and so I always try to use bread that has been made with good flour and have no preservatives and additives. I have found two excellent bakeries in Pretoria who do bread better than anyone else. Broodhuijs and Lucky Bread Co. are both in the Brooklyn/Nieuw Muckleneuk area and so very conveniently located for me. Broodhuijs is literally 500m away from my home and I could not be happier about it (their pastries and coffee are also absolutely phenomenal).
So when I had a loaf of Broodhuijs’ multigrain loaf a while ago, I knew I wanted to make a fabulous sandwich with it. I’ve always been a fan of the classic Chicken Mayo sandwich and wanted to upgrade it a little. I added finely chopped celery, onion and quartered grapes because I wanted to add texture and flavour and instead of using all mayo, I mixed a little Greek yoghurt into the dressing which lightens it up slightly and adds a delicious tang. Served on the chewy multigrain bread, it made for a most delicious sandwich.
Chicken salad sandwich
For the filling
- 2 chicken breasts poached with a bay leaf garlic and lemon rind in chicken stock
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1/3 cup red onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup grapes quartered
- 1/3 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
- juice of 1/2-1 lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
For the sandwich
- bread of your choice
- micro herb leaves I used rocket to add some pepperiness
- After you've poached the chicken, allow to cool completely then shred into a bowl.
- Add the celery, red onion and grapes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mayo, yoghurt, lemon juice and seasoning.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken and mix well. Adjust seasoning if necessary. (At this point, the salad can be served as is with lettuce).
- To assemble the sandwich, top the slices of bread with lettuce, chicken salad and finish with the the micro herbs.
- Serve immediately.