Toasted sourdough topped with chicken and mozzarella, spicy jalapeño mayo and zesty salsa makes these roast chicken melts a great way to use leftovers.
I am a sandwich obsessive. Put anything between two slices of bread and I’m bound to love it. I had some left-over roast chicken a couple of days ago and knew it was destined to be turned into an awesome sandwich. But there are so many options. I decided to take inspiration from one of my favourite sandwiches at one of my favourite restaurants, Lucky Bread Co. They have this spicy chicken melt, mozzarella sandwich thing that makes my mouth water every.single.time.
It comes served with jalapeño mayo, salsa and fresh avocado and good grief, it’s perfection. So, I took all those elements and created my own version of their classic. Enter: Roast chicken melts you are going to swoon over.
We gobbled these chicken melts down in minutes. Every bite is filled with succulent chicken, creamy and spicy mayo and freshness from the salsa. Add the perfectly ripe avo and good sourdough and you have the sandwich equivalent of euphoria. So the next time you have some roast chicken leftovers or some Rotisserie chicken lying around, make this sandwich. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Table of Contents
- 1 What makes a sandwich a melt?
- 2 What is the best cheese to use for a melt sandwich?
- 3 What is the best bread to use for a melt sandwich?
- 4 More sandwich recipes you will love:
- 5 Roast chicken melts with jalapeño mayo and salsa
What makes a sandwich a melt?
The difference between a melt and a grilled cheese is that a melt is assembled with the filling (usually meat) with cheese over the top and then heated for the cheese to melt over the filling before sandwiching with another slice of bread.
What is the best cheese to use for a melt sandwich?
Any good melting cheese will work:
What is the best bread to use for a melt sandwich?
Sourdough is always the best option in my opinion but French bread (baguette), country bread or even thick slices of white bread will all work well.
More sandwich recipes you will love:
- Smoked chicken, lettuce and tomato sandwich
- Chicken Caesar sandwich
- Steak sandwich with goat’s cheese butter
- Fried chicken sandwich with creamy coleslaw
- Classic chicken salad sandwich
Roast chicken melts with jalapeño mayo and salsa
for the jalapeño mayo
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeños chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayo I used Hellmans
- 1 teaspoon pickle juice from the jalapeños
for the salsa
- 1 ripe tomato finely diced
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- handful fresh parsley or coriander, finely chopped
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
for the sandwich
- 4 slices sourdough bread toasted
- 1 chicken breast thinly sliced
- mozzarella cheese thinly sliced
- ½ avocado thinly sliced
- fresh coriander to garnish
- Pre-heat the grill of your oven on the hottest setting.
- Combine the ingredients for the jalapeño mayo and set aside.
- Do the same with the salsa ingredients.
- To assemble the sandwich, place the chicken on two slices of the sourdough then top with the mozzarella. Place the sandwiches on a baking tray and place in the oven.
- Allow the cheese to melt and become golden brown then remove from the oven.
- Spread the mayo on the remaining slice of bread then top the sandwich with the avo slices and a generous spoonful of salsa. Top with the fresh coriander and close the sandwich with the mayo-slathered bread.
- Serve immediately.