Filled with nutritious vegetables and spices, this aromatic coconut curry vegetable soup recipe is warm, comforting and healthy.
Table of Contents
- Red pepper.
- Sweet potato.
- Bok choy (or other leafy greens).
- Garam Masala.
- Chilli powder.
- Coconut milk.
- Chicken stock.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make coconut curry vegetable soup
- Prep the vegetables: Finely chop all the vegetables, including cauliflower/broccoli stalks.
- Cook the soup: In a large pot, saute the onions, garlic, ginger, carrots, celery and peppers until soft and starting to caramelize. Add the garlic and spices and saute for another minute or two then add the tomatoes, remaining vegetables, stock and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper then reduce the heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and cook for 20-30 minutes until all the vegetables are cooked through.
- Serve: Adjust seasoning then serve with a dollop of yogurt and fresh cilantro/coriander.
What other vegetables can be used?
- Kale, spinach, chard.
- Butternut squash.
Can I make soup in advance?
Soup is a great make ahead meal and can be frozen for up to 3 months. Allow cooked soup to cool completely then transfer to airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze. Thaw frozen soup then reheat in a pot until hot and bubbling.
How to thicken soup
The easiest way to thicken soup is to transfer one third to half of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth then stir into the rest of the soup. Alternatively you can add a bit of cornstarch mixed with water and allow to simmer until the soup has thickened.
Easy soup recipes
Coconut curry vegetable soup.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp ginger crushed
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 2 celery spears finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 1 small head of cauliflower chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cups leafy green vegetables chopped
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 400 g (14oz) chopped tomatoes (or 4 large, ripe tomatoes)
- 400 g (14oz) coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, saute the onions, carrots, celery and peppers until soft and starting to caramelize.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices and saute for another minute or two then add the tomatoes, remaining vegetables, stock and coconut milk.
- Season with salt and pepper then reduce the heat and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat and cook for 20-30 minutes until all the vegetables are cooked through.
- Adjust seasoning then serve with a dollop of yogurt and fresh cilantro/coriander.