Easy vegetable soup
Everyone should know how to make vegetable soup and this easy recipe is perfect for when you need healthy vegetarian comfort food in a flash.
I always feel the need to boost my vegetable intake after (and during) all the excess of the festive season and soups are a great way to do that. This easy vegetable soup recipe is one I’ve been making for years because it’s such a fail-safe and delicious way to get all the vegetables I possibly can into my family.
The great thing about homemade vegetable soup is that you can customize it to suit your taste but also to use up any and every vegetable you have in the kitchen. I usually treat it as a clean-out session for my fridge. And honestly, anything goes. The vegetables I’ve added here work incredibly well but so do sweet potato, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, peas, spinach, aubergine, turnips or parsnips.
I always start with the classic mirepoix of onion, carrot and celery and add leek for that glorious flavour. I also kind of feel like mushrooms are a non-negotiable for their intense umami-richness they add but other than that, go crazy.
How do you make homemade vegetable soup?
Use as many fresh and frozen vegetables as you can to not only boost the nutritional value of the soup but also add more flavor. Sauté the onion, carrot, leeks and celery until soft and fragrant then add the remaining vegetable and cook until they start to caramelize. Finally, add the green vegetables (anything leafy like spinach or kale and broccoli, peas and green beans), tomatoes and stock. Allow to cook with the herbs until all the vegetables are soft and the soup is full of flavor. Season to taste and serve.
What herbs do you put in vegetable soup?
- Bay leaf
Easy vegetable soup
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stick finely chopped
- 2 small leeks finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup butternut squash chopped
- 1-2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups mixed green vegetables (I used broccoli, zucchini and green beans)
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- fresh parsley to serve
- Parmesan/Vegetarian Parmesan to serve
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large pot and add the onion, carrot, celery and leeks along with the garlic and herbs and cook until fragrant and starting to caramelize.
- Add the peppers, butternut squash and mushrooms and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the vegetable start to soften and caramelize.
- Add the green vegetables and stir to combine before adding the crushed tomatoes and stock. Season to taste then bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, check seasoning and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley and Parmesan/vegetarian Parmesan.