Everyone should know how to make vegetable soup and this easy recipe is perfect for when you need healthy vegetarian comfort food in a flash.
This easy vegetable soup recipe is one I’ve been making for years because it’s such a fail-safe and delicious way to get all the vegetables I possibly can into my family.
The great thing about homemade vegetable soup is that you can customize it to suit your taste but also to use up any and every vegetable you have in the kitchen. I usually treat it as a clean-out session for my fridge. And honestly, anything goes. The vegetables I’ve added here work incredibly well but so do sweet potato, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, peas, spinach, aubergine, turnips or parsnips.
I always start with the classic mirepoix of onion, carrot and celery and add leeks for their gentle flavor. I also kind of feel like mushrooms are a non-negotiable for their intense umami-richness they add but feel free to leave them out.
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Vegetables: Start with a base of onion, carrot and celery then add any vegetables you like or ones you need to use up. I like using:
– Butternut squash / Pumpkin / Sweet potato.
– Bell pepper.
– Broccoli / Cauliflower / Brussels Sprouts.
– Green beans.
– Kale / Spinach.
- Aromatics: Garlic is a must and you can use any herbs or spices you prefer. For this version I used bay leaves, rosemary and parsley but thyme, sage, oregano and basil will also complement the finished soup.
- Stock. I used vegetable stock but any stock you have will work.
- Parmesan / Vegetarian Parmesan alternative. (Optional)
How to make vegetable soup?
- Prepare the vegetables: Dice all the vegetables into 1cm pieces (you can dice them finer if you prefer a less-chunky soup), this ensures they all cook evenly.
- Make the soup: Sauté the onion, carrot, leeks and celery until soft, fragrant and starting to turn golden brown. The more the vegetables caramelize at this stage, the more intensely flavored the soup will be. Add the remaining hard vegetables and cook until they too start to caramelize (approximately 10 minutes) Finally, add the green vegetables (anything leafy like spinach or kale and broccoli, peas and green beans), tomatoes and stock. Allow to cook with the herbs until all the vegetables are cooked. I season the soup with a pinch of salt and pepper at every stage to ensure good flavor development.
- Season and serve: Once the vegetables are cooked, adjust seasoning as necessary then ladle into bowls, add a generous grating of Parmesan cheese and serve.
Can you freeze vegetable soup?
Absolutely! Vegetable soup freezes brilliantly. Allow the cooked soup to cool to room temperature then transfer to freezer bags or suitable containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating over medium heat. The cooked soup will last for approximately 4-5 days if kept covered in the fridge.
Easy vegetable soup
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stick finely chopped
- 2 small leeks finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup butternut squash chopped
- 1-2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups mixed green vegetables (I used broccoli, zucchini and green beans)
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- fresh parsley to serve
- Parmesan/Vegetarian Parmesan to serve
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large pot and add the onion, carrot, celery and leeks along with the garlic and herbs and cook until fragrant and starting to caramelize.
- Add the peppers, butternut squash and mushrooms and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the vegetable start to soften and caramelize.
- Add the green vegetables and stir to combine before adding the crushed tomatoes and stock. Season to taste then bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, check seasoning and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley and Parmesan/vegetarian Parmesan.
Best vegetable soup recipe! Love making big pots and freezing for quick lunches and dinners.
It’s such a great soup to freeze, I do exactly the same. So glad you liked it Loraine. 🙂
Can i add bacon bones for a smoky flavour
Absolutely! That sounds fantastic.
Great recipe. I make a big pot at the beginning of each week and have it for lunch and it’s so healthy and delicious. Thanks
I’m so glad to hear you like this recipe Georgie. It’s such a great healthy recipe to have in your repertoire.
This soup is busy cooking right now and the smells that have filled the house is making me sallivate. I browned all the vegetables in a pot before throwing everything in my crockpot. I’m out most of the day so that way I have dinner waiting when I get back. Thanks!
I’m so glad to hear that Jess. Such a great idea to pop everything into the slowcooker and let that do the work for you! Hope you enjoy it!
I made this soup last night and it was so good. I allowed the vegetables to caramelise well as per the instructions and the flavours that developed were completely delicious. Thanks for a great recipe!
Yay! I’m so pleased to hear you loved it Jo!
Laura | Tutti Dolci
This soup looks so cozy and delicious, perfect for these cold winter nights!
I’m so glad you like the look of it Laura. 😉
Simple food is always the best ! Thank you so much !
It is, isn’t it? 🙂
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen
Prettiest vegetable soup that I’ve ever seen Alida! Looks and sounds just delicious!
Ah, thanks Mary Ann! It’s a goodie.