You’re going to love this creamy gnocchi soup with bacon and mushrooms. It’s the coziest dinner recipe and perfect for chilly evenings.
- Bacon. I used streaky bacon but any bacon will work.
- Fresh thyme.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Chicken broth/chicken stock.
- Cream. Heavy cream/whipping cream.
- Gnocchi. I always use store-bought gnocchi for soup since it’s a little firmer than homemade and work well in soup recipes.
- Salt and black pepper.
How to make gnocchi soup
Start by browning the bacon in a large pot or Dutch oven. Once crisp, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, leaving behind a few tablespoons of bacon fat. Add the onion and mushrooms to the pot and cook until the onions have softened. Add the fresh thyme and crushed garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the flour and cook for a few seconds then pour in the chicken stock and cream.
Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until the soup has thickened slightly. While the soup is simmering, cook the gnocchi in a large pot of salted water until it floats to the surface. Drain the gnocchi then add to the soup along with half of the bacon. Cook for another 5 minutes then season with salt and pepper. Serve the soup in serving bowls topped with the rest of the bacon. I also added fried sage leaves but that is optional.
Can I make this ahead?
The soup can be frozen for up to 3 months or kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 days. If preparing ahead, I would suggest cooking the soup without the gnocchi and add the cooked gnocchi while reheating over low heat.
Hearty soup recipes
Bacon mushroom gnocchi soup
- 250 g (½lb) bacon chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 500 g (1lb) mushrooms sliced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp flour
- 4 cups chicken stock/chicken broth
- 1 cup cream
- 500 g (1lb) gnocchi cooked and drained
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven set over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and leave a few tablespoons of bacon fat in the pot.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for a few minuets until the onion has softened.
- Add the garlic, thyme and flour and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken stock and cream.
- Bring the soup to a gentle simmer and cook for 10 minutes until the soup has thickened slightly.
- While the soup simmers, cook the gnocchi in a large pot of salted water until they float. Drain the gnocchi.
- Add the gnocchi to the soup and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Add half of the bacon.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the soup with the remaining bacon.