Cheesy creamed spinach stuffed into roasted butternut squash is a delicious, crowd pleasing side dish or vegetarian main.
Spinach and butternut squash are two vegetables that are widely served in South Africa. Most chain restaurants serve these two as their vegetable side dish options and I have never complained. Because I LOVE creamed spinach and I LOVE butternut squash. So what happened when I combined these two loves of mine? THIS, my friends. The cheesiest, creamiest creamed spinach stuffed into sweet, roasted butternut and baked until golden brown and delicious. I mean, have you ever seen anything so glorious? Hellloooooo Thanksgiving side dish!
How to make stuffed butternut squash
Half two whole butternut squash and season generously with salt. Place into a roasting pan and add boiling water. Cover with foil and place in a preheated oven to bake for 30-45 minutes until soft. In the meantime, make the creamed spinach by sauteeing the onion and garlic until soft and translucent over medium heat. Add the spinach and allow to wilt before adding the flour. Stir to coat the spinach in the flour then pour in the milk and cream. Stir until smooth then allow to simmer for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened and is smooth. Season with salt and pepper (a little grated nutmeg would be delicious here too) and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before stirring in the cheese.
Remove the roasted butternut from the oven then scoop out the seeds and some of the flesh in the “neck”part of the butternut to create a hollow for the spinach. Scoop the cheesy creamed spinach into the butternut and top with grated Parmesan cheese. Place back in the oven and allow to bake for another 10 minutes until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve.
What to serve with stuffed butternut
Butternut squash recipes
- Honey roasted butternut squash soup
- Butternut risotto with haloumi
- Roasted butternut and mozzarella pasta bake
Creamed spinach stuffed butternut squash
- 2 butternut squash halved
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup boiling water
For the creamed spinach
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 750 g (1½lbs) baby spinach washed
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Place the halved butternut squash into a deep roasting pan then season with the salt.
- Pour the boiling water into the pan and cover with foil.
- Place in the oven and allow to roast for 30-45 minutes until soft. Once roasted, scoop out the seeds and some of the flesh. Set aside.
- While the butternut is roasting, make the creamed spinach. Saute the onion and garlic in 2 tsp of olive oil until soft and translucent.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted then add the flour and stir into the spinach. Pour in the milk and stir until the sauce is smooth then add the cream. Allow to simmer gently for 7-10 minutes or until the sauce is thick and smooth. Season to taste and remove from the heat. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before adding the mozzarella cheese.
- Once the butternut is roasted, spoon the creamed spinach into the hollows of each butternut and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Place back in the oven and allow to cook until the tops are golden brown, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.