Creamy spiced carrot soup is an easy and delicious soup recipe, perfect for chilly days when you just need a bowl of soup to warm you up.
Carrots aren’t an ingredient I tend to use much on their own. Of course they go into every stew and most bases of soups, etc. But on their own, I mostly just eat them raw. I made this easy and delicious carrot soup recipe a while ago and fell in love. The sweetness of the carrots works so well with aromatic spices. Along with potatoes which help to thicken the soup as well as add creaminess, this soup is silky, warming and perfect for fall dinners. Serve with crusty bread and loads of butter for a delicious dinner.
How to make carrot soup
- Roast carrots before cooking the soup base to add depth of flavor. If you don’t want to roast the carrots, make sure to cook them until they start to caramelize in the soup pot before adding stock.
- Use aromatic spices to compliment the flavor of the carrots. Turmeric, cardamom, ginger, garlic, Garam Masala and a pinch of cinnamon will transform this soup.
- After blending the soup, add a splash of cream to make it extra lush. And remember to season generously with salt and pepper.
Freezing and storing:
- Freezing carrot soup: Always freeze soup before adding cream. Allow the blended soup to cool to room temperature then transfer to freezer safe bags, jars or containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. Allow the soup to thaw completely before reheating in a pot over medium heat.
- Make ahead: This recipe can be made up to 5 days ahead and kept covered in the fridge without the addition of cream. Before serving, heat the soup with the cream and season to taste.
- Creamy mushroom soup
- Easy healthy chicken broccoli soup
- Honey roasted butternut squash soup
- Easy tomato soup with grilled cheese
Creamy spiced carrot soup
- 1 kg (2lbs) carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp ginger crushed/grated
- 3 potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 6 cups stock
- ½-1 cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Roast the carrots in a 200°C/400°F oven drizzled with 2 tablespoons olive oil and seasoned with salt for 25-30 minutes or until they are starting to caramelize. Add to the soup with the potatoes.
- Saute the onions and carrots (if not roasting) for 10-15 minutes until the carrots start to caramelize. Add the garlic, ginger and potatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add all the spices and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Pour in the stock, cover with a lid and reduce the heat. Allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the carrots and potatoes are soft.
- Blend the soup until smooth then pour in the cream. Season to taste and simmer for 5 minutes before serving.