These easy, healthy-ish apple muffins spiced with cinnamon, ginger and all spice served with honey butter are a delicious fall breakfast or snack.
I’m not going to beat around the bush. These muffins are BOMB! They are stuffed to the brim with juicy, sweet chunks of apple and spiced with all the warming spices you want during fall. Cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and all spice all make an appearance. Yes please!
I love having muffins in the house for grab-and-go breakfasts and easy, healthy snacks. These apple muffins are healthy-ish. They are made with a combination of white flour and oat flour. I like the combo of these two as the white flour gives the muffins structure and the oatmeal flour adds fiber and a little texture. You could totally sub in whole wheat flour if you prefer. Instead of butter, I like using canola oil and plain yogurt to add moisture to the muffins.
And to finish? Only the most delicious honey butter that is so delicious, I could eat it on its own. Slathered onto a warm apple muffin though? Get ready to fall in love friends.
Table of Contents
What apples to use for muffins?
I prefer using crisp, juicy and slightly tart apples for any baking. Granny Smith, Honeycrisp and Pink Lady (Cripps Pink) apples are some of my favorites. Peel the apples and then cube them before folding into the muffin batter. You could also grate them if you prefer a finer texture.
How long to bake muffins?
Muffins should take approximately 15-20 minutes to bake in an oven that has been preheated to 180°C/350°F. You can test if muffins are done by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the muffins are done.
Can you freeze muffins?
Muffins freeze very well. Allow baked muffins to cool completely then transfer to an airtight, freezer safe container or freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw completely before serving. These muffins can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Cinnamon brown sugar pumpkin muffins
- Easy healthy blueberry muffins
- Chocolate chip banana oat muffins
- Banana, date and pecan muffins
Spiced apple muffins with honey butter
- 1¾ cup flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spice
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¾ cup soft brown sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 apples peeled and diced
Cinnamon sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the honey butter
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In a separate bowl or mixing jug, combine the brown sugar, oil, yogurt, eggs and vanilla. Whisk until well combined then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Fold in the chopped apples.
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar if using.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups then place in the oven. Sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar on top of each muffin.
- Allow the muffins to bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the muffins are baking, mix together the butter and honey.
- When the muffins are baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving with the honey butter.