This potato bake flavoured with crispy bacon and melty brie cheese cooked in cream is an indulgent, delectable side dish you will make over and over again.
A while ago I was browsing through one of my French cookbooks when a dish of soft, creamy potatoes drenched in oozy cheese caught my eye. Tartiflette. What a beautiful word. I am no stranger to tartiflette and have made a version of it for years but as it is very hard to find good Reblochon cheese in South Africa, I usually substitute with brie or camembert to give me a similar creaminess. But because I couldn’t find reblochon before I made this dish, I didn’t feel it right to call it Tartiflette because it’s technically not a tartiflette unless it contains a heft amount of soft, nutty reblochon.
Let’s be honest though, there are few combinations as glorious as bacon and brie cheese (as is demonstrated by this awesome bacon & brie grilled cheese) and when you combine it with garlic, potatoes and cream, you are bound to have a winner on your hands. This recipe is beyond easy to knock together and after an hour in a hot oven, you have simple perfection. This makes a fabulous meal on its own with a zest green salad to cut the richness of the potatoes but also makes a great side dish to grilled/roasted meats.
Table of Contents
Easy bacon and brie potato bake
- 250 g streaky bacon chopped
- 2 kgs approximately 8 large potatoes, thinly sliced
- 250 g brie cheese sliced
- 4 garlic cloves sliced
- 500 ml cream
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme leaves removed
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- Place a large, oven-proof frying pan over high heat then fry the bacon until crisp and golden. Remove from the pan, leaving the rendered fat behind.
- Layer the potatoes, brie cheese (reserve a few slices for the topping), bacon and garlic in the pan, seasoning the layers as you go.
- Season the cream with salt and pepper then pour over the potatoes.
- Cover the potatoes with foil/a lid and place in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Top with the remaining brie cheese then place back in the oven and allow to bake until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and serve.