Crisp on the outside, soft on the inside and topped with spicy sriracha butter. These hasselback potatoes are the bomb and perfect as an easy side dish.
Hasselwhat potatoes? Don’t worry, I also didn’t know what hasselback potatoes were at first. When I was growing up, my mom used to make these potatoes all the time but she used to call them “Concertina potatoes” and let’s face it, that is a much better description of them but whatever the name, these were the potatoes of my childhood.
When my mom and dad were in the mood for something a little fancier than a plain baked potato, they would pull out a knife and slice neat slices into said potato before generously seasoning it with salt, pepper and probably some kind of barbecue spice because my dad loves his barbecue spice. I always thought these potatoes were so fancy but really, they are the simplest thing in the world to make.
Crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside. ?
The most wonderful thing about these potatoes is that you get the best of both worlds: The crisp outer pieces and the fluffy interior. Perfection, amirite? The thing that elevates these potatoes is that glorious sriracha butter. You guys, this is the stuff food dreams are made of. And I don’t think anything has ever made a potato taste as good as that sriracha butter did. It added the perfect amount of spicy richness to the creamy-crispy potato and I had to force myself to not reach for more. These potatoes make a great side dish to anything from roast chicken to grilled lamb chops and be sure to make more than you think, they go fast!
How do you make Hasselback potatoes?
Using medium-sized potatoes, slice thin cuts into each potato, taking care not to cut all the way through. Place on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season generously. Bake until golden brown and crisp then top with sriracha butter and serve.
How long do you cook Hasselback potatoes?
Depending on your oven and the size of potatoes you use, anything between 45 and 60 minutes will be sufficient. When a knife can be inserted easily, you know they’re ready.
What do you have with Hasselback potatoes?
- Rosemary-crusted beef fillet with horseradish cream
- Mayonnaise grilled rosemary garlic steak
- Lemon herb roast chicken
- Crisp salt and pepper pork belly
- Chicken Piccata Thighs
for the potatoes
- 6 large potatoes
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
for the sriracha butter
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha to taste
- For the potatoes: Pre-heat the oven to 180°c. Place the potatoes on a cutting board and carefully slice into the potato, making sure you don't cut all the way through.
- Place the hasselback potatoes in a roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil. Add the thyme and season with salt and pepper then place in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 60-90 minutes or until the potatoes are golden and crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
- In the meanwhile, to make the sriracha butter, simply beat the butter and sriracha together and set aside.
- When the potatoes are cooked, remove from the oven and serve with a dollop of the sriracha butter.