Easy baked honey mustard chicken thighs are perfect for a weeknight dinner and deliver juicy, flavorful chicken every time.
Table of Contents
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Chicken thighs. Skin-on chicken thighs are best for this recipe, however you can substitute with any chicken pieces of your choice. If using chicken breasts, the cooking time will need to be adjusted as they cook much faster than bone-in chicken thighs.
- Mustard. I used both Dijon mustard and whole grain mustard because used together, you get incredible flavor. Feel free to substitute with any mustard of your choice ex. German mustard or English mustard.
- Honey. Maple syrup can be used instead.
- Olive oil. Avocado oil or vegetable oil can also be used.
- Fresh lemon juice. Lemon is a great partner to mustard and balances the sweetness of the honey. Apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar can be used instead.
- Herbs: I used dried oregano and fresh parsley but any dried or fresh herbs can be used. Thyme, rosemary, tarragon and basil all work well with mustard. Spices like garlic powder or onion powder can also be added.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Salt and black pepper.
How to make honey mustard chicken thighs
Start by making the honey mustard chicken marinade. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, both types of mustard, herbs, minced garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix well. Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels then season on both sides with salt and pepper then place in a baking dish (a cast iron skillet can also be used). Pour over the honey mustard sauce and allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes (while you preheat the oven) or cover and refrigerate overnight.
Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven then remove the foil and bake for another 15-30 minutes until the chicken is tender and the skin is golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve.
Can I make this ahead?
Yes, honey mustard chicken is a great prep ahead dish. The chicken can be marinated for up to a day in advance or frozen in the marinade for up to 3 months. Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What to serve with honey mustard chicken
We love this chicken recipe served with rice and either a simple salad or some sautéed vegetables. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, green beans and asparagus are all delicious options. Mashed potatoes would also be great with the chicken.
Honey mustard sauce used for chicken consists of honey, mustard, lemon juice, herbs and spices. Honey mustard dipping sauce uses mayonnaise as a base with honey, mustard and a couple of spices for extra flavor.
Yes, mustard is delicious on chicken. Chicken is a great versatile protein that works with most flavorings, mustard being an excellent choice.
Depending on their size, chicken thighs should be fully cooked after 30-45 minutes baked at 350°F/180°C.
For a crispier result, I wouldn’t recommend covering chicken with foil while baking however, if the chicken is baked in a sauce containing sugar and honey, covering the chicken for the first half of the baking time will prevent the sauce from burning.
Chicken thigh recipes
- Lemon pepper chicken thighs
- Honey garlic chicken thighs
- Crispy chicken thighs with lemon caper sauce
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- 8 medium chicken thighs approximately 750g/1½lb of chicken thighs
- 4 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels then season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine all the honey mustard sauce ingredients then pour over the chicken. Allow the chicken to marinate for 20 minutes while you preheat the oven or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Cover the baking dish with foil then place in the oven and allow the chicken to bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil and place the chicken back into the oven. Allow to bake for another 15-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through, tender and the skin is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve with side dishes of your choice.