Easy lemon garlic mushroom pasta recipe is perfect for mushroom lovers. It’s great for busy weeknights or when you just need to curl up on the couch with a bowl of creamy pasta.
This is an absolute fail-safe staple in my cooking repertoire and the best mushroom pasta recipe, ever! It’s the kind of recipe I know my family will love and will eat happily PLUS it takes almost zero effort from me. Something that is coming in very handy as we are heading into our busy season.
It’s also great that this mushroom pasta requires only a handful of ingredients, most of which I always have in my pantry/fridge anyway. We are big fans of mushrooms so there’s always a container or two waiting to be used and what’s a pantry without pasta? We’re eating more and more vegetarian meals lately and easy recipes like this one makes it just so much easier. But of course, you could totally add chicken, bacon or chopped ham to the sauce if you preferred something a little meatier. You could also add other vegetables, which makes this a great recipe for clearing the fridge. Zucchini/courgette, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, bell peppers and peas will all work well.
Table of Contents
- Mushrooms. I used a combination of portobellini/chestnut mushrooms/cremini mushrooms and larger portobello mushrooms. You can use any mushrooms you like or have in the fridge.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Butter or avocado oil can be used instead.
- Chilli flakes/red pepper flakes.
- Dried oregano. Dried sage also works well.
- Fresh herbs. I used parsley and chives but fresh thyme is always delicious with mushrooms.
- Cream. Heavy cream or whipping cream. If you would like this recipe to be dairy-free, use coconut milk or cashew cream instead.
- Fresh lemon juice.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Pasta. I used fettuccine but any pasta shape will work for this recipe. Spaghetti, linguine, rigatoni, penne, etc. Gluten-free pasta is great if required.
- Parmesan cheese, for serving.
- Other: This is completely optional but a drizzle of truffle oil is a great addition to mushroom pasta. It enhances the flavor and makes the sauce just that little bit richer.
How to make quick and easy creamy garlic mushroom pasta
All-in-all, this recipe as is shouldn’t take you more than 20 minutes to pull together. I put the kettle on while I heat the pasta pot and pan for the sauce. Start prepping the mushrooms, garlic, lemon and parmesan and then pour the hot water into the pasta pot to start boiling.
Start the sauce while the pasta is cooking by sautéing the mushrooms and garlic in a large pan or skillet set over medium-high heat. The mushrooms will release some liquid but allowing the mushrooms to simmer in their own liquid will intensify the mushroom-flavour. Once the liquid has cooked off, add the chilli flakes and herbs. Cook for another 30 seconds then pour in the cream. Allow to simmer until thickened then add a squeeze of lemon juice (mushrooms LOVE lemon) and season with salt and pepper. Stir in a generous handful of grated parmesan cheese then toss the sauce through cooked pasta. Add a few spoonfuls of pasta water then serve.
Can I make this ahead?
The sauce can be made a day in advance and kept in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat before tossing with al dente pasta. Leftovers can also be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheated with a splash of water in the microwave until hot throughout.
- Creamy spinach mushroom chicken
- Creamy polenta with garlic sage mushrooms
- Easy Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms
Easy creamy lemon garlic mushroom pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g/1lb mushrooms sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1-2 cups cream (I often only use 1 cup but if I want it a little saucier, will add a bit more)
- 2-3 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chives finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 500 g/1lb pasta cooked (reserve some of the cooking water)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan then fry the mushrooms until golden brown. The mushrooms will release some moisture but allow the liquid to cook off for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic and fry for another minute then add the chilli flakes and herbs. Squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Pour in the cream then allow to simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Toss the pasta in the sauce, adding reserved pasta cooking water as needed. You want the pasta to be coated in the sauce and for the sauce to not be too thick.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.