Need easy dinner inspiration for tonight? This easy but totally delicious tomato cream rigatoni recipe is weeknight dinner perfection.
Full recipe and amounts can be found in the recipe card from below.
- Olive oil.
- Chopped tomatoes.
- Cream. Coconut milk or cashew cream can be used as a vegan substitute.
- Salt and pepper.
- Parmesan. Use a vegetarian alternative, if preferred.
What can I add to this rigatoni recipe?
If you want to add a protein, cooked chicken, shrimp (prawns) or bacon would all be fantastic. You can also add wilted spinach, kale or cooked mushrooms to add more vegetables.
How long to cook rigatoni?
Rigatoni takes a little longer to cook than shorter pasta shapes due to its size. Bring a large pot of salted water (you want the water to be well-seasoned) to a boil then add the rigatoni. Allow to cook, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes until the pasta is al dente. To know when the pasta is cooked, carefully taste a piece of the drained pasta and if its pleasant to eat without being too firm, it’s ready. Drain the pasta, reserving a cup of cooking water, and combine with the sauce.
Easy tomato pasta recipes:
- Spicy tomato bacon pasta
- Easy cheese and tomato pasta bake
- Baked gnocchi with bacon, tomatoes and mozzarella
- Cheese and tomato baked ravioli
Easy tomato cream rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 x 400g 14oz can chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- pinch of sugar optional
- ½ cup whipping/heavy cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 500 g 1lb rigatoni, cooked (reserve 1 cup of cooking water)
- Parmesan and basil to serve
- Melt together the olive oil and butter and saute the onions until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds before adding the chopped tomatoes.
- Pour ½ cup water into the tomato can and pour into the pot.
- Season with sugar, salt and pepper then allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the cream and allow to simmer for another 5 minutes before blending until smooth (optional).
- Add the cooked rigatoni to the pasta sauce and stir to coat. Add some of the reserved cooking water to thin out the sauce and make it even silkier.
- Serve topped with grated Parmesan and fresh basil leaves.