This simple green salad recipe is the perfect side dish. The lemon-Parmesan dressing will ensure it’s a memorable part of any meal.
Table of Contents
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Lettuce. I love using a variety of lettuces/leaves when making a green salad. Iceberg, butter lettuce, Romaine, gem lettuce, arugula, baby spinach and radicchio are all good options.
- Cucumber. You could keep this salad a leaf-only salad but I like the crunchy freshness cucumber adds.
- Olive oil.
- Fresh lemon juice.
- Parmesan cheese.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make green salad
- Make the dressing: Using a microplane, finely grate garlic and Parmesan into a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Assemble the salad: Halve a large English cucumber then scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon then slice. Place lettuce into a large serving bowl and add the cucumber. Pour over the dressing, toss and serve.
What else can I add to a green salad?
- Onion. I prefer adding spring/green onion to a green salad.
- Parmesan shavings.
- Pine nuts.
Can I make this in advance?
The salad can be assembled (undressed) and kept covered in the fridge for up to 4 hours. The dressing can be made up to a day in advance and kept in the fridge. Dress the salad right before serving.
Side salad recipes
- Grilled Fattoush Salad with Eggplant
- Easy cucumber radish salad
- Easy tomato salad
- Cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
Easy green salad with lemon Parmesan dressing
For the dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ garlic clove
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- 250 g (½lb) lettuce leaves Use a variety of your favorite leaves
- 1 English cucumber
- Using a microplane, finely grate garlic and Parmesan into a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Halve a large English cucumber then scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon then slice.
- Place lettuce into a large serving bowl and add the cucumber.
- Pour over the dressing, toss and serve.