Everything you love about guacamole but in a fresh, zesty salad. Creamy avocado, tomatoes, red onion, chilli and cilantro make this Guacamole salad recipe irresistible and the perfect healthy side dish.
- Vegetables: Ripe avocado, cherry tomatoes, red onion, fresh cilantro/coriander. I used cherry tomatoes but you can use any ripe tomatoes you can find.
- Seasoning: Chilli, fresh lime juice, salt and black pepper. I used bird’s eye chilli / Thai chilli but jalapeño pepper or serrano can be substituted.. Feel free to add fresh garlic if you prefer. You could also add some crumbled feta cheese or Cotija cheese.
- Olive oil.
How to make guacamole salad (summary)
- Prepare the vegetables: Peel and slice the avocado into slices/chunks, whichever you prefer. Drizzle over a little lime juice to prevent the avocado from browning. Halve the cherry tomatoes and thinly slice the red onion. Finely chop/slice the chilli and pick the leaves off of cilantro/coriander stems.
- Assemble: Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl and pour over the olive oil, lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Gently toss and serve.
- Food stylist trick: As you’ll know if you’ve ever tossed a salad with avocado in it, it tends to smoosh a little and make everything around it creamy. While that’s not a problem, I prefer to gently assemble this salad to avoid that. I place the different components, almost in layers, in my serving dish of choice. Whisk the dressing together and pour over then very gently lift and toss the salad to avoid the avocado breaking up too much. This is of course 100% just for appearance-sake and I don’t do this all the time but if you’re serving to guests, this is a nice touch.
Can I make this ahead?
The avocado will brown if sliced too far in advance. The tomatoes, onion and chilli can all be prepped an hour in advance and then combined with the avocado and dressing before serving.
What to serve with guacamole salad
This is the perfect salad to serve as a side to grilled chicken, pork or fish. You could also chop the vegetables smaller and serve it as a chunky dip with tortilla chips, as you would guacamole.
- 4 avocados thinly sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- large handful fresh parsley/coriander
- 1 red chilli finely chopped (optional)
for the dressing
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste I used fresh white pepper
- Peel the avocado and slice into slices. Squeeze over lemon juice to prevent the avocado from browning.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and thinly slice the red onion. Finely chop the chillies and pick the coriander/cilantro leave off the stems.
- Place the sliced avocado, cherry tomatoes and red onion on a large platter/bowl and scatter over the herbs and chilli.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad.
- Serve immediately.