This lemon shrimp salad is a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Juicy seared shrimp marinated in lemon, spices and olive oil with creamy avocado, red onion and baby spinach is a delicious and easy lunch or dinner recipe.
How to make shrimp salad
- Marinate the shrimp: Place peeled and deveined shrimp in a large bowl then add olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, red pepper/chilli flakes, salt and pepper. Mix well and allow to marinade for up to 30 minutes.
- How to cook shrimp for salad: Preheat a large pan over high heat and add the shrimp in a single layer. If your pan isn’t big enough, cook the shrimp in batches.
- Assemble the salad: Wash and dry salad leaves of your choice. Baby spinach, baby kale and butter lettuce are all good ideas but any lettuce will do. Place into a large bowl or platter then top with sliced avocado, thinly sliced red onion and the cooked prawns. Drizzle over the dressing and serve.
What salad dressing to use with shrimp
I like using a simple lemon vinaigrette. Combine lemon juice, white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix. Pour over the salad and serve.
Meal prep and storing:
- Meal prep instructions: The lemon in the marinade will cook the shrimp so it’s best to only marinade the shrimp no more than 30 minutes before cooking. However, cooked shrimp can be kept in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Wash the salad leaves then spin dry in a salad spinner and keep in an airtight container layered with paper towels. Slice the avocado and onion right before serving.
- Storing the assembled salad: The salad can be assembled (drizzle lemon juice over the avocado so that it doesn’t brown) up to 3/4 hours before serving. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Drizzle the salad dressing over right before serving.
Easy lemon shrimp salad
- 500 g (1lb) shrimp / prawns peeled and devined
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
For the salad
- 8 cups salad leaves
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the shrimp and marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Allow to marinade for up to 30 minutes.
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add the shrimp in a single layer and cook until the shrimp are pink and their tails start curling. Remove from the pan.
- To make the salad, wash and dry the leaves and place in a bowl. Add the avocado, red onion and shrimp.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the salad. Serve immediately.