Juicy harissa chicken thighs roasted until perfectly caramelized are delicious served with crispy chickpeas an rice for a fuss-free dinner.
- Chicken thighs. This can be made with any bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces.
- Harissa paste. I used my homemade harissa but you can use store-bought harissa too.
- Za’atar. This Middle-Eastern spice mix contains oregano, sumac and ground sesame seeds. Feel free to use dried oregano as substitute.
- Olive oil.
- Salt and black pepper.
- To serve: Rice, dill yogurt sauce and fresh herbs. I used parsley and dill.
How to make Harissa chicken
Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels then season generously with salt on both sides. Place the chicken, skin-side up, into a baking dish or a sheetpan. Spoon over the harissa paste and spread over each chicken thighs. Place the chicken in a preheated oven and allow to roast for 20-30 minutes until the skin is caramelized and crisp. While the chicken is cooking, drain the chickpeas and season with olive oil, za’atar, salt and pepper. Place in a roasting dish and roast for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden.
Serve the chicken and chickpeas over rice with a dill yogurt sauce and fresh herbs.
Chicken thigh recipes
- Tomato Spinach Orzo Pasta with Crispy Chicken Thighs
- Crispy chicken thighs with caper sauce
- Bacon creamed corn with crispy chicken thighs
Harissa chicken thighs with crispy chickpeas and ricePrint Pin Rate Add to Shopping ListGo to Shopping List
- 600 g (approximately 4 large or 8 small) chicken thighs
- ½ cup harissa paste
- salt to taste
for the chickpeas
- 400 g (14oz) chickpeas drained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 tsp za'atar
- dill yogurt sauce
- fresh dill and parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels then season on both sides with salt.
- Place the chicken in a roasting dish then spoon over the harissa and spread over each chicken thigh.
- Place in the oven and allow to roast for 20-30 minutes until the chicken is caramelized and cooked through.
- Toss the drained chickpeas with olive oil, salt, pepper and za'atar.
- Transfer to a roasting dish and place in the oven. Allow to cook for 20 minutes until the chickpeas are crisp and golden.
- Serve the chicken and chickpeas over steamed rice and the dill yogurt sauce.
Zouhair Fiorino Najjar
Stunning Recipe..Liked,,Saved,,and Shared to all my social media Blogs..I am on your Mailing List,,Today I followed you on Twitter and on Your YouTube Channel