Rosemary-crusted beef fillet with horseradish cream is perfect for effortless entertaining and will make a fantastic main dish recipe at any dinner party.
Beef fillet, beef tenderloin or filet of beef (there are so many names!), always screams celebration to me. It’s my go-to main dish for impressing guests or adding a special touch to dinner parties and this recipe is so easy, it requires minimal effort but delivers big on flavor.
I love this technique of rolling the whole fillet in chopped rosemary, salt and pepper as this gets the flavor right into the meat and develops a beautiful crust when seared. Served with the punchy horseradish cream, this becomes a main dish to remember. It’s also perfect served at room temperature with salads and crusty bread as part of a casual feast.
How do you cook a fillet of beef?
Pre-heat the oven to 220ºC/428ºF. Finely chop fresh rosemary then mix with sea salt flakes and freshly cracked black pepper. Drizzle olive oil over the beef fillet. Sprinkle the spice mixture over a chopping board and roll the beef fillet into the seasoning, covering the surface well. Heat a large cast iron skillet/frying pan over high heat then sear the fillet on all sides. Place in the oven and allow to roast for 20 minutes until a meat thermometer reads 55ºC/130ºF for rare, 62ºC/145ºF for medium and 70ºC/160ºF for well done.
What do you eat with fillet steak?
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Hasselback potatoes with sriracha butter
- Bacon and brie potato bake
- Easy garlic butter dinner rolls
- Cheesy broccoli bake
Rosemary-crusted beef fillet with horseradish cream
- 2kg /4,4lb whole beef fillet/beef tenderloin sinew removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp rosemary finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sea salt flakes
- 2 tsp black pepper freshly cracked
- 1/2 lemon
For the horseradish cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-2 tbsp horseradish, grated (alternatively, use jarred horseradish and add to taste)
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 220ºc
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Place the whole fillet of beef on a large chopping board. Drizzle over the olive oil and rub all over the fillet.
- Sprinkle the chopped rosemary, salt and pepper on to the chopping board then roll the beef fillet into the seasoning, making sure you cover the entire surface of the fillet.
- Sear the beef fillet on all sides until golden brown then place in the oven and allow to roast for 20 minutes until a meat thermometer inserted reads 55ºC/130ºF for rare-medium rare meat.
- Remove from the oven then cover with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- In that time, mix together all the ingredients for the horseradish cream and season to taste with lemon, salt and pepper.
- Slice the beef fillet and serve with the horseradish cream.