Using turkey and vegetables in a comforting pot pie is a great way to use up leftovers. Using shop-bought cheese sauce makes this recipe so quick and easy.
Pot pies are a great way to use up leftover roast meat and leftover turkey is just perfect for mixing with creamy sauce and topping with buttery puff pastry. And while you’re at it, add any of the leftover vegetables too! Brussels Sprouts, green beans, carrots and roasted sweet potato/pumpkin will all work so well in this turkey pot pie.
How do you make turkey pot pie?
Shred leftover turkey meat and place in a large bowl. Add vegetables of your choice (leftover roasted/cooked vegetables and mixed frozen vegetables work well) along with shop-bought cheese sauce, sour cream and seasoning. Mix well then transfer to an oven-proof dish and top with thawed puff pastry. Brush with egg wash and place in the oven. Allow to bake until the pastry is golden brown and puffed and the filling is hot throughout.
What vegetables go in a pot pie?
To keep prep to a minimum, using leftover roasted/cooked vegetable are a great way to add more flavor and nutrients to a pot pie. Any of the following vegetables will work in a pot pie:
- Green beans
- Brussels sprouts
- Mixed frozen veg
How long does it take to cook a turkey pot pie?
In a 200ºC/390ºF oven, the turkey pot pie should be fully cooked in 20-30 minutes. Because all the filling ingredients are already cooked, you just want to cook the pastry and make sure the filling is hot throughout. Puff pastry needs around 20 minutes to puff up fully.
Can you freeze cooked turkey pot pie?
To freeze the pot pie, assemble all the way up to baking then wrap tight in a layer of plastic wrap and another of foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen (simply adjust baking time to allow the pie to fully defrost and become hot throughout).
Leftover turkey pot pie
- 3-4 cups roast turkey shredded
- 2-3 cups roasted/frozen vegetables
- 1 cup cheese sauce Use shop-bought for a quicker pot pie
- 1 cup sour cream
- lemon juice to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 400 g/14 oz puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg beaten
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/390ºF.
- Combine the shredded turkey with the vegetables, cheese sauce and sour cream.
- Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice then transfer to an oven-proof pie/baking dish.
- Top with the puff pastry and brush with the egg.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 20-30 minutes until the pastry is golden and puffed and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.